Jarbidge or Bust - "Overlanding" Nevada 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought you said you were "that guy" after the apple store too? Sounds like not.

Great fun

I guess I only added an extra 15-20 minutes at the quick lube shop in Utah, so it wasn't too bad. I'd rather not hold up the convoy at all though, if I can help it.

Cam-Thank you for joining us, and writing such an epic tale. It was an epic mind altering trip into new territory for me. We'll let you in on next year's secret location soon! Same rough time frame so let your work/spouse know now!

So, some post-trip fun...

The day after returning, while driving (the still filthy truck) back to the office at lunch, the engine started running like crap and finally stalled out.

I traced it to the fuel pump, which I swapped out for my spare. Turns out the spare was dead. After swapping in a new one and still having problems, I replaced the filter/pressure regulator and all is well.

The moral of the story - this happened less than 20 miles after returning from a 5,000 mile trip. If this happened anywhere except near the Summit Racing warehouse in Reno, it would have made the Apple Store incident look like a birthday party. Andrew definitely had someone watching over him.

I'll be adding the filter/regulator to my stash of spares, as well as testing the pump before putting it in the stash. And maybe again before leaving for a long trip.

-------

I was ultimately unsuccessful in getting my old iPhone's data recovered. I tried two different repair shops with no luck. Had I found a repair shop in Reno, it may have been possible to switch screens before the corrosion fully developed, but even then maybe not. Or I may have had an unreliable phone.

So, I returned my new phone for a refund, and then exchanged my swimmer for one of those bro-deal phones. I'll save the story for a camp fire on next year's trip, but the experience was even worse than the one in Sparks. :bang:

-----

My truck is not the same after this trip. I had just gotten rid of all of the interior squeaks and rattles as well as the creaks and groans of the leaf springs.

700 miles of dirt roads and mud has reversed all progress.

In addition to the $20 at the car wash in Utah, I had to max out the timer (takes credit cards and runs for 15-20 min before auto-shutting off) four times in a row at the local car wash.

The truck is 95% clean. I would need to stand under a post lift with the pressure washer to get the rest.

I found a big clump yesterday that I might pry off and vacuum seal as a momento.

For my closing thoughts, I think Pasquale said it best...

...You don't ever come back after a trip like this, with this crew, without feeling your whole life has changed...

I haven't quite adjusted back to normal life just yet and I'm a little sad that the thread is ending (maybe somebody can throw some more pics in or tell some more stories, or a full length film (Alex)).

I can't wait for the next one!

I guess my trip is off the table huh JT?

video is about 95% done!! I was working on it this weekend... right now it's like 25 minutes long because there are just that many great pictures and videos.

Well, here is version one of the video. It's kind of long because there just was so many good pictures and videos i didn't want to leave anything out.

I did realize one mistake is that i didn't give Dan any credit at the end, but by that time i was already uploading a 32GB video and so i didn't want to start over.

Great video, Alex! I really like the selection of music. Also all the shots taken while holding your iPhone out the window came out excellent and oh so glad you didn't have to visit a Apple store like Cameron to get a replacement bro-deal phone.

Last edited:
Great 1st 12min! I'll watch the rest at home after work.

Alex--Many thanks. That is a great video that obviously required a lot of your time. I totally got to relive the whole trip and all the crazy stuff that went on. If I could "like" it twice, I would.

:cheers:

Great video work and sound track Alex! Kudos! Makes me think I was there :lol:

great thread...
Cam, you gotta write these and save them for your son. Amazing/
I laughed out loud a dozen times at least.

Wish I could go next time..

so i just watched the video....

dude, epic.

great tunes.
was that all shot on an Iphone? or did you use gopro's ?

..need to add some of Pasquales strumming next year.

99% was shot on the iPhone 6

I agree, Pasquale offers good music. I was ashamed that i did not stay up with him this year and jam around the camp fire like in the past... i was literally depressed about that on the ride home.

great thread...
Cam, you gotta write these and save them for your son. Amazing/
I laughed out loud a dozen times at least.

Wish I could go next time..

Thanks! I got sucked back into reading and reliving it again, so thank you for that too!

so i just watched the video....

dude, epic.

great tunes.
was that all shot on an Iphone? or did you use gopro's ?

..need to add some of Pasquales strumming next year.

Alex forgot to mention his method of video-ing... arm out the truck window, iPhone in hand, panning to capture the scene, at any and every speed. He must have the AppleCare!

We did have less music this trip. Probably due to the weather and extra travel distance each day wearing everyone out. Y'all will have to make up for it on the next one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom