I've had it! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm also tired of the bickering and lack of control over a particular "delegate" who has literally raised hell and caused some people to resign from the TLCA. I think they need to strengthen the bylaws so they can control these "problems"

I think the only thing I'll miss will be the TLCA mags and the TLCA sponsored rides. However, before I got into Land Cruisers, I was wheeling with a club that had all kinds of 4x4's and we had just as much fun wheeling and hanging out.

I'm still undecided about renewing my membership and will watch and see how things progress in the next few months.

It is very sad to see all of the hard work going down the tubes because of one bad apple.

I love my LC as much as anyone else, but I refuse to be part of an organization that cannot control its problems.

Charles

We should all stay with TLCA. There is light at the end of the
tunnel. I can't wait to see Todd's version of TT. Local clubs
are great, and I'm in one, but TLCA can provide a common link.

I wanted to say that I feel badly for the new members who asked to be contacted and weren't. That's just wrong--but I don't think it could be all of TLCA's fault. What about local members? They have to be pro-active as well. It's funny, I have been into wheelin' and rockin' for almost 6 years now and I have had my cruiser almost 2 years now and I am not a member of any local clubs, but I have been contacted several times by members of the local cruiser club to invite me to come out wheelin' with them. They were active on various forums and when they looked at my posts, they noticed that I was near their area. I definitely appreciated that but declined for personal reasons (I didn't feel my rig was in the shape I wanted it to be to go wheelin' with them...but they still wanted me to come...) I have seen others invite newbies to come out several other times on forums. So, I don't know what I am really saying, just wanted to say that. And it would be terrible if the TLCA died because of lack of communication and such with members.

Mike and other disgruntled folks...

I feel your pain!

the dissatisfaction you have voiced and others have agreed to has reared it's ugly head in the form of decreased membership.  Decreased membership has reared it's ugly head in the form of decreased budgets and an inability to move forward on important topics like TT Editor and TLCA website.

As frustrating as it is for you to not receive any issues, imagine how frustrating it has been to be involved at the board level and watch this going on without any ability to do anything about!  

but I am not going to sit here and point fingers or spend one more minute focusing on what 'has' taken place; individual actions or collaborative actions.  The damage has been done.
I have sent my goals to the Bodreps list and asked that each person reading them treat Jan 1st as more than the first day of the new year... but to treat Jan 1st as a new day for TLCA.  One of cooperation and focused effort on mutually agreed upon goals.... and what are those goals:  
Membership, Trails and events.  That is what TLCA should be about.  And if we stay focused on those three primary goals, we'll have a robust association that offers premier events and puts forth the most awesome solely Toyota oriented magazine around!

Already the association has heard the groans from folks such as yourself.  We have a new administrator... fresh, eager, enthusiastic and motivated.  Last years BOD tossed the one delegate who alone did more damage to our reputation and turned so many involved folks away.  While that action has not actually caused said delegate to cease, it has done more to unit volunteers in an effort to move forward on what is best for the association.

The goals that I presented to the Bodreps list also did more than quantify goals, it presented where I think we are.  In recovery.  That's right, it did not focus on growing or expanding, it focused on recovery, restoring the bonds of friendship and trust and in turn, restoring membership by restoring faith in our members... members such as you.

It won't be easy... and nothing I say will probably get you to rethink your position... I can't say as I blame you.  But for those on the fence about renewing... or those who are thinking about joining for the first time, please understand that the 5% who volunteer their time and effort have heard the complaints and witnessed the faults and are committed more than ever to move forward in a positive manner, to make sure that the only Toyota specific organization remains solvent and active.

If we were on the trail, you wouldn't leave me busted and broke even if you didn't like the truck I drove... at least toss me a cool one and ask if I need help... and Mike, I do need help.  I need some faith and some patience, I need input and advice... and I need some forgiveness (spelling) and another opportunity to find the right line, now more than ever.  I'm not giving up yet.

You'll be receiving a letter from me along with at least 7 back issues because that is what you paid for, at the very least.

sincerely...

Tony

When I read that someone like Mike Smythe is bagging the TLCA I become motivated to bring him back. I've wheeled with Mike and can say he's the sort of member the TLCA needs, now more than ever. Level headed, Cruiser savvy, and wheeling like there's no tomorrow.

That said, Mike's a big boy and makes his own decisions. I figure the only way we win him back is with the leadership being shown by Tony and others, to which I give a standing ovation (hard to type, stand, and clap all at the same time -- try it now... see?). And of course I'll work my tail off to bring you all a Toyota Trails that you'll enjoy, learn from, and want to participate in, hopefully on time, every time. Perhaps this level of competency on the part of the TLCA BOD will help to bring guys like Mike back into the fold.

In the meantime, I'll bring you some back issues of Trails the next time I see you in Slade, Mike, and keep that 40 topside up every now and again.

TJK

no need Todd...

my personal letter of apology and six back issues went out today.

After a few days (when I believe Mike has received the letter), I will post it here for everyone to read. There is nothing personal in it except my excuses, apologies and promises.

This is part of my first goal for TLCA during our year of recovery; rebuilding the trust among all Members and probably the first of many letters I'll be writing.

I'm confused........................

In the early part of this thread there are 2 Mike's posting/mentioned. Myself and Mike Held (?) aka Climbermike and pomike. We are very different individuals as I hope those that know me will attest.

Beyond my concerns about the TLCA, I had also grown weary of the nonsense on the LC mailing list (Gary Borjk's e-mail list by subscription). He never allowed the crap, yet it always appeared. Very damaging to the moral of those who were working to improve or as Tony stated recover the TLCA.

Then comes along a post (on the LCML) from Mike (climbermike) that irritates some folks. When a previous poster to this thread made reference to him being more welcome over on the Pirates board, I cashed it in. I took personal offense to the original comment, still do actually.

So for the many reading this, I don't think I am the only Mike being referred to here, nor should I be. Only one poster was on target when he mentioned he didn't intend to offend me. Since he is the one that made the reference on the LCML.

Todd and Tony,
Thanks for your kind words (Todd) I am still the same guy, just less tolerant of some things, and don't get near as riled as I used to. I have been very fortunate to have met and gleaned info from many quality people on the LCML, POR and here. Can't really say the same for some of the other boards out there, you know the ones.

And Tony, I am a supporter, of yours and the TLCA. This is the only place I have commented at all, not to my friends or fellow Cruiserheads, regarding my position. I WANT to see you succeed, I just don't have the time right now to take any responsibility in your goals. I sincerely wish you all the best, and hope your leadership is appreciated.

My membership expires in March. As a show of good faith, and my belief in you (Tony), and Todd's comments, I WILL renew!

Happy New Year to all you crazy ass Cruiserheads!

no need Todd...

my personal letter of apology and six back issues went out today.

After a few days (when I believe Mike has received the letter), I will post it here for everyone to read.  There is nothing personal in it except my excuses, apologies and promises.

Welcome Todd, just realized you are the new TT guy! Looking forward to your work on TT!

This is part of my first goal for TLCA during our year of recovery; rebuilding the trust among all Members and probably the first of many letters I'll be writing.

It doesn't get any more REAL than this! Go get em Tony, you are with doubt the best thing to happen to the TLCA in many years!

I'm confused........................

In the early part of this thread there are 2 Mike's posting/mentioned. Myself and Mike Held (?) aka Climbermike and pomike. We are very different individuals as I hope those that know me will attest.

snip

Here are the players:

Mike Smythe -- that's you!
Mike Kear -- a much misunderstood Cruiserhead who would be the first to say he needs to learn when to shut up. He has a great heart though, so don't totally write him off.
Jon Held -- friend of Mike's, friend of mine through the 3FE list, very much a quality guy. Oddly I've purchased tires from both Jon and Mike.
--
snip

My membership expires in March. As a show of good faith, and my belief in you (Tony), and Todd's comments, I WILL renew!

Good deal, thanks Mike.

TJK

Aiggght then, time for me to chime in. I only read the first few posts, I'm lazy like that, but I get the jist of it. I know most of you guys and you're good people. Here's how I look at it. I'm in the NRA and they don't always do things to my liking, but they are THE organization out there fighting for gun rights, organizing events and bringing gun owners together. The TLCA, though I admit isn't really fighting for much, but it is THE organization for Cruiserheads, bringing Cruiserheads together, and organizing events that bring us together. Ya get a great magazine with great pics, so WTF is $25 gonna hurt?

Me, I read the magazine, go to GSMTR and stay the hell outta the politics....

Tym

as noted above... here is the letter that I sent to Mike with my apology. He has received it and I don't believe there is anything personal or that I would be ashamed of.

If you are also experiencing Mike's frustrations as noted in this post, then this letter also applies to you (I'll send you a personal one if you like). :D

Dear Mike…

Unfortunately, this letter is going to contain excuses, apologies and promises.
The last 12 months (and possibly even longer) have been excruciating for TLCA with regards to communication and cooperation to name only a few. While many volunteers work hard for the association in an effort to express their love and appreciation, their actions may not always meet with unanimous agreement or yield their desired results.

All too often, a Member is lost in the paper shuffle or simply does not receive that which is owed to them. I am afraid this may have been the case with regards to your last years worth of Toyota Trails and your TLCA Membership. I hold myself to blame for this and offer my sincere apology. The lessons learned have been bitter for TLCA and possibly cost us your continued membership and support. It is TLCA’s loss in this case.

However, I do not navigate a trail or route by looking in the rear view mirror. While it would be easy to point fingers at someone else or cast blame on others, I will not. I am ashamed at recent TLCA actions, as a team and as individual contributors, and have decided not to walk away but help initiate change by remaining involved in a positive manner. To this end, I have been elected President and have begun to restore friendship and cooperation, things that I believe are instrumental to our continued success.

I am including numerous issues of past Toyota Trails, which you are entitled as a Member, and was missed by TLCA. This was our error, whatever the reason. I also realize that we (for we are a team) have probably lost you forever as a TLCA Member. While this saddens me immensely, I certainly understand your point of view. But I also want you to see the changes which I have spoken of. How can you if you are not a Member? The only way I can think of is for me personally to send you a few more Trails so you can witness the change of attitude and the renewed atmosphere of friendship. I hope you won’t mind and I also hope that with time, your distaste for TLCA will also soften and perhaps one day, I truly can claim success when I see Mike Smythe renewing his membership.

Many thanks Mike and I hope we can wheel together someday at a TLCA event.

Your friend, Tony Twiddy

(OK, I am claiming my first success!)

Thats what I recieved, along with back issues as he promised here. Thanks Tony!

BTW I posted my error and comments in the ackowledgement to Tony thread. Somebody tell my wife I AM human!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom