It's that time... clutch cylinders

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by craigwanderer, Dec 24, 2011.

1. craigwanderer

craigwanderer

Yes, It's Christmas (Happy Christmas MUD! :) ), but it's also the time my clutch slave cylinder crapped out on me.

I've never swapped out a master and slave before, and looking around on the intarwebz from google search to youtube, I can't find a tutorial specific to a 79 BJ40.

Any words of wisdom or lookouts - or even better, detailed instructions ;) - on swapping the slave or both the master and slave would be most appreciated.

After reading about potential problems folks on MUD had encountered with their 40s I bought a bunch of spares earlier in the year just in case, including an OEM clutch slave and master. So I have the tools, I have the parts, I have the fluids, but I don't have the knowledge.

An assist to this mechanical noob would be appreciated.
  2. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ." SILVER Star

Hi All:

Do you have any Land Cruiser manuals?

The factory Toyota manuals are best. The Max Ellery and Gregory's manuals are pretty good. The Haynes manual is fairly lame.

Swapping the clutch master and slave cylinders is pretty straight-forward:

A) Drain the clutch system.

B) Detach the clutch hose from the master cylinder.

C) Remove clutch master & install replacement.

D) Re-attach clutch hose.

E) Detach clutch hose from slave cylinder.

F) Remove slave cylinder & install replacement (be sure the activator rod is the same length.)

G) Re-attach clutch hose.

H) Add clutch (i.e. DOT 3 brake) fluid and bleed system until good clutch engagement/pedal pressure results (gravity bleeding can work quite well.)

Good luck!

Alan