It's Official...I'm IN (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
I went to my first meeting as a councilman on Tuesday. I started out being terrified, and ended up being a little humbled by the experience.

I was also on the way to a camping trip, so I was driving the old FJ45. Not known for its speed, I left early. Not ever having been to the meeting place either, I left a little earlier. I got there an hour early! I went inside and told the receptionist I was there for the meeting. She told me that no one would be allowed in the conference room until half an hour before the meeting, so I took a seat in the lobby. Within 5 minutes, the lobby was full of people that had come for the meeting.

The meeting organizer came out of his office to assess the situation, and when he saw that I was waiting with everyone else, he blushed a little. He relented and let everyone in to the conference room. I took my seat at the table and went to work on some e-mails on my iPad. When I next looked up, there were already 40 people in the audience...and they were all looking at me! The next councilman did not arrive for 45 minutes, and by that time the crowd had doubled. Nobody said a word to me, and I had no one to ask if this was protocol or something.

Eventually the crowd exceeded the capacity of the meeting room and the BLM got nervous. This had apparantly NEVER happened before. They started making plans to break up the meeting, but they relented. We decided to abandon our agenda in favor of hearing from a selected group of spokespeople from the public. This took half of the time we had planned for organizing our own affairs, which the law insists must be done in public. I took a lot of notes, as I was there to represent the public, and as our own discussions progressed, I made sure to try and include those comments.

After the meeting, a half dozen people came up and thanked me. They also said they felt safer because I was on the council, and that they felt they were being heard because I incorporated their concerns into my comments. That was humbling.

I went to my first meeting as a councilman on Tuesday. I started out being terrified, and ended up being a little humbled by the experience.

I was also on the way to a camping trip, so I was driving the old FJ45. Not known for its speed, I left early. Not ever having been to the meeting place either, I left a little earlier. I got there an hour early! I went inside and told the receptionist I was there for the meeting. She told me that no one would be allowed in the conference room until half an hour before the meeting, so I took a seat in the lobby. Within 5 minutes, the lobby was full of people that had come for the meeting.

The meeting organizer came out of his office to assess the situation, and when he saw that I was waiting with everyone else, he blushed a little. He relented and let everyone in to the conference room. I took my seat at the table and went to work on some e-mails on my iPad. When I next looked up, there were already 40 people in the audience...and they were all looking at me! The next councilman did not arrive for 45 minutes, and by that time the crowd had doubled. Nobody said a word to me, and I had no one to ask if this was protocol or something.

Eventually the crowd exceeded the capacity of the meeting room and the BLM got nervous. This had apparantly NEVER happened before. They started making plans to break up the meeting, but they relented. We decided to abandon our agenda in favor of hearing from a selected group of spokespeople from the public. This took half of the time we had planned for organizing our own affairs, which the law insists must be done in public. I took a lot of notes, as I was there to represent the public, and as our own discussions progressed, I made sure to try and include those comments.

After the meeting, a half dozen people came up and thanked me. They also said they felt safer because I was on the council, and that they felt they were being heard because I incorporated their concerns into my comments. That was humbling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom