It's not cast iron (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, after I bought my deBuyers, I haven't used the cast iron since.

X3.

Just off the Rubicon trail for 7 days, the DeBuyer 12 inch got a good work out.

I would like a steel pan similar to the one described by Horace kephart

upload_2015-7-3_21-33-54.png

I don't see how the one pictured would work unless there were a wing nut or something to hold the handle in position when unfolded.

That 12.5 is calling my name!

never...

My wife got onboard with the CI concept but couldn't deal with the weight. Ordered a 12" carbon steel pan along with some other goodies today. I'm afraid this is going to put my CI fetish to rest...
Cook her a rib eye in a cast iron skillet, Alton Brown has a good video on how to do it right.

Ok I know it already says somewhere in this thread, but I don't wanna go looking for it. What is the best/fastest way to strip this pan so I can re-season so my wife can use it. Also is it say to use a skillet on a glass top stove? Thanks all!
-Daniel Kent
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437565560.925286.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437565572.178539.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437565581.266532.jpg

Ok I know it already says somewhere in this thread, but I don't wanna go looking for it. What is the best/fastest way to strip this pan so I can re-season so my wife can use it. Also is it say to use a skillet on a glass top stove? Thanks all!
-Daniel Kent
View attachment 1110110
View attachment 1110111
View attachment 1110112

Wire wheel the whole thing if you're going to start over.

Yes it's safe to use on a glass top stove (I do on mine) provided the bottom of that cast iron pan does not have any burrs or sharp edges on the bottom.

Wire wheel the whole thing if you're going to start over.

Yes it's safe to use on a glass top stove (I do on mine) provided the bottom of that cast iron pan does not have any burrs or sharp edges on the bottom.
Sweet! I'll get right on it. Best way to season it? I know their is a ton of options on here! Preferably one that doesn't involve animal fat (thought I saw that as an option). We eat plant based (no animal products). Thanks all!
-Daniel Kent

Sweet! I'll get right on it. Best way to season it? I know their is a ton of options on here! Preferably one that doesn't involve animal fat (thought I saw that as an option). We eat plant based (no animal products). Thanks all!
-Daniel Kent

I think I ended up using 300* as an oven temp to cut down on smoke, but YMMV:

http://bfy.tw/w6R

^Thx! I goggled it, but really wanna use a method a fellow mudder recommended. I'll check that one out!

Are those hair line cracks I see?
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1437577925.076819.jpg

Personally, I like the handles better. It seems to heat more evenly too.

My 10" steel pan sees a lot of use because of the weight issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom