It's not cast iron (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have several steel skillets that I use for crepes and omelets typically where faster temp control is desired compared to cast iron...not to mention considerably lighter in weight & easier handling.

FWIW I season them the same way I do my CI: Cover the bottom with a layer of course/kosher salt submerged in vege oil and heat slowly until smoking. Dump out, wipe with newspaper/paper towel and you're ready for slip-slide cooking surface.

I have several steel skillets that I use for crepes and omelets typically where faster temp control is desired compared to cast iron...not to mention considerably lighter in weight & easier handling.

FWIW I season them the same way I do my CI: Cover the bottom with a layer of course/kosher salt submerged in vege oil and heat slowly until smoking. Dump out, wipe with newspaper/paper towel and you're ready for slip-slide cooking surface.

spressomom, I use flax seed oil instead of veggie oil. I feel it gives me a harder yet slicker seasoning result. Try it sometime I think you'll like it.

J

^ right on...I will try it...thanks for the tip!

Slight Highjack...

We have several cast iron pieces that were given to us, but they all have some surface rust on them and I'm unsure as to whether any of them were ever seasoned right. What is the best process to get them all up to par? Thanks in advance!

-Daniel Kent

Slight Highjack...

We have several cast iron pieces that were given to us, but they all have some surface rust on them and I'm unsure as to whether any of them were ever seasoned right. What is the best process to get them all up to par? Thanks in advance!

-Daniel Kent

For the rust-Electrolysis. It's like magic for removing rust and crud. Use about 2 tablespoons of Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) per gallon, Scrap steel for the anode. Submerge item, attach positive battery charger lead to the scrap, and the negative to the item you want to clean up. Run for 6-12 hours, all the rust and gunk will just wipe off the pan. Rinse, dry, coat with oil. Bake the oiled pan at 375 for 1 hour to re-season.

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

Rusty-I've been looking at those Lodge steel pans. I'd love to hear your review after you've used them a few times.

American version of a classic French pan. You'll have to grow a moustache and speak with an outrageous accent while you use the pan.

Slight Highjack...

-Daniel Kent

I was given a propane grill with cast iron grill plates that hadn't been properly seasoned and had rusted. I found a video on Weber's YouTube page showing how to recover it. Basically, it involved taking off the rust with a wire brush, coating the grill with peanut oil, heating up to high heat, and (using tongs) wiping a wet towel over the grill. Rinse and repeat 3-4 times. Worked great.

Still getting it figured out but overall I'm impressed with the factory seasoning.
ForumRunner_20130203_081547.jpg

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread
ForumRunner_20130203_081547.jpg

Last edited:
The old tortilla warmer trick.
ForumRunner_20130203_082317.jpg

Sent via the ether from my candy bar running ginger bread
ForumRunner_20130203_082317.jpg

Last edited:
For the rust-Electrolysis. It's like magic for removing rust and crud. Use about 2 tablespoons of Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) per gallon, Scrap steel for the anode. Submerge item, attach positive battery charger lead to the scrap, and the negative to the item you want to clean up. Run for 6-12 hours, all the rust and gunk will just wipe off the pan. Rinse, dry, coat with oil.

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

Interesting!

Slight Highjack...

-Daniel Kent

From Cooks Illustrated (I have a web account):

Published September 1, 2007. From Cook's Illustrated.
How do I take care of my cast-iron cookware?
Routine Maintenance
If you buy a preseasoned pan (and you should), you can use the pan with little fuss.

Don't wash the pan with soap or leave it in the sink to soak. Rinse it out under hot running water, scrubbing with a brush to remove traces of food. (This is easiest if done while the pan is still warm.)
Dry the pan thoroughly and put it back on the burner on low heat until all traces of moisture disappear (this keeps rusting at bay). Put a few drops of vegetable oil in the warm, dry pan and wipe the interior with a wad of paper towels until it is lightly covered with oil. Then, using fresh paper towels, rub more firmly to burnish the surface and remove all excess oil. The pan shouldn't look or feel oily to the touch. Turn off the heat and allow the pan to cool before putting it away.
Heavy-Duty Cleaning
If you have stuck-on food or you've inherited a pan that is rusty or gummy, scrub it with kosher salt.

Pour in vegetable oil to a depth of 1/4 inch, then place the pan on a stove set to medium-low for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add 1/4 cup kosher salt. Using potholder to grip hot handle, use thick cushion of paper towels to scrub pan. Warm oil will loosen food or rust, and kosher salt will have abrading effect. Rinse pan under hot running water, dry well, and repeat, if necessary.
Reseasoning
If cooking acidic foods or improper cleaning has removed the seasoning from your pan, it will look dull, patchy, and dry instead of a smooth, rich black. You need to restore the seasoning. We have found this stovetop method (rather than the usual oven method) to be the most effective way to season a cast-iron pan.

Heat pan over medium-high heat until drop of water evaporates on contact. Wipe inside with wad of paper towels dipped in vegetable oil (hold towels with tongs to protect yourself). Wipe out excess oil and repeat as needed until pan is slick.

i got just about all the lodge cast iron stuff and love it.. i guess i will have to look at the steel stuff.

when did they start steel cookware??

what the heck is the salt for?

So many complicated methods for dealing with cast iron.

My Mom would be amused.

I'm not a chemist...can't answer it from that perspective. But a professional chef taught me the salt and oil trick 30+ years ago. It works.

Prior to that I would do the oil in the pan in the oven thing...but often the whole thing ends up being gummy and takes to long for this impatient type.

Whereas the salt and oil thing is quick and results in a teflon like surface. Repeat as necessary. For frying, obviously, its not necessary. But if you're cooking, say, an omelet I haven't found anything that works better for steel and/or cast iron.

I'm going to hit the restaurant supply place this week looking for a true crepe pan. If I find one I'll have to try the salt method.

It's just for scrubbing power. You don't want to use anything too rough or you can scrub off the seasoning. Salt is rough enough to get scour the pan clean but it's not so rough that it will harm the seasoning.

I'm not a chemist...can't answer it from that perspective. But a professional chef taught me the salt and oil trick 30+ years ago. It works.

Prior to that I would do the oil in the pan in the oven thing...but often the whole thing ends up being gummy and takes to long for this impatient type.

Whereas the salt and oil thing is quick and results in a teflon like surface. Repeat as necessary. For frying, obviously, its not necessary. But if you're cooking, say, an omelet I haven't found anything that works better for steel and/or cast iron.

interesting, I should try that. So not just wet salt, but fully flooded?

(doesn't work with espresso grounds...? I thought everything works better with plenty of espresso... :) )

^ the way it works for me is to cover the bottom of a clean skillet/pan with a good layer of salt...say 1/8", probably not critical, and then enough oil to cover the salt by hmmmm an 1/8". A ChemE could probably 'splain why the salt and oil combo works better than either by itself.

Who knows...espresso might work but for the difference in cost I'll stick with salt :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom