Isuzu 4BD1-T swap into a '92 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sorry...one other question. On your trans...did you just stall the torque converter down or did you do any other internal mods? I'd like to try it with just the stalled down converter and see how that works, but was wondering what your thoughts on that are.

Thanks again!

Not sure why you need to upgrade your steering to y-link before you wheel it, are your steering links worn or bent?

Lots of folks wheel the piss out of their 80's without fear nor damage to their steering linkages. I've had zero issues with mine with a heavier powertrain and 37's and now 38's.

It was just for clearance, I wanted to keep the 2.5" lift

sorry...one other question. On your trans...did you just stall the torque converter down or did you do any other internal mods? I'd like to try it with just the stalled down converter and see how that works, but was wondering what your thoughts on that are.

Thanks again!

I did have the converter stalled down, (AND MODIFIED WITH A DIFFERENT SNOUT!), and I have not done any other internal mods. I have tried to buy a modified valve body from west coast cruisers, but after a couple of emails, and messages on the phone, and nothing happening, I have given up. I have some other sources for some trans mods, just haven't had time to check up on em yet.

My 4bd1t"H" is from an '86. The first year they were available in the states apparently. From what I could tell, the only difference is the timing from the factory. The cam could be different. My engine is rated at 100-110 hp (if I remember correctly), and the later ones are around 150 ish maybe, going from memory.

I haven't had it out on the road since the injectors, it's still waiting for me to finish the steering. I have a severe lack of free time with the winter we had down here, lots of dead plants, trees, shrubs, etc. As an Arborist(and business owner) and a full-time Firefighter, my plate is pretty full, but I am whittling away at it when I have a minute

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be picking up an '86 as well if everything works out. Sorry for the hassle with the modified 'snout'. What stall speed did you go for on the tc? Are you pleased with the shift points?

I think the stall is around 1800, and the shift points are good, it's just getting the tv cable adjusted properly is the only trick

Yo, update! So after new injectors, a good valve adjustment, and advancing the timing to about 12-13 deg. This thing is AWESOME! I don't have any fuel economy updates, but the power is better than the 3F-E. I was having a problem with the egt's getting up too high and too quickly, but now that seems to be fixed, but I haven't had it on the freeway yet. I really can't believe how this motor came alive with the timing advance! It runs so much better! I am very stoked! It's actually "peppy"!

So I tried to set the steering up with the y-link in front of the axle so the oil pan would have clearance. That set-up doesn't work with 2.5" of lift, the panhard rod mount on the frame is in the way of relocating the tie rod to the front. So a 4" lift is on the way, plus some spacers. I'll test fit the steering parts and see which one fits better.

Here is a pic of the y-link, yes I know the tie rod is upside down, but it doesn't fit the other way. You can see the clearance issues with the panhard mount clearance. And no, I am not running this set up right now, just the stock set up with a 1-ton draglink.

Good update! Glad to hear the few fixes got it sorted out.

We must have our engines mounted much diffrent, mine did not require the moving of the panhard brace and only took a 1.5" bump stop drop on the front. I did put a 4" lift in though for good measure.

Too bad the y link did not work out, seemed like a simple heavy duty workaround.

Hey john, glad to hear the trucks running better for you! looking forward to seeing and hearing more about your findings.(egt's, boost, mileage.) feel free to stop by the shop sometime and chat. ill see ya soon
-Shawn

Good update! Glad to hear the few fixes got it sorted out.

We must have our engines mounted much diffrent, mine did not require the moving of the panhard brace and only took a 1.5" bump stop drop on the front. I did put a 4" lift in though for good measure.

Too bad the y link did not work out, seemed like a simple heavy duty workaround.

Hmm....yeah, I think my engine is mounted a little lower than yours. But I will make it work out proper, one way or the other. It seems the different ways in which we mated the trans and motor have made a major difference in the clearances.

Hmm....yeah, I think my engine is mounted a little lower than yours. But I will make it work out proper, one way or the other. It seems the different ways in which we mated the trans and motor have made a major difference in the clearances.

Thats a good point, I had forgotten about that. Not really an issue one way or the other when you are swapping in a non OEM engine.

Again glad to hear the few changes made such a large improvement.

...via IH8MUD app

I have been putting some miles on this rig around town, and I got the 4" slee lift on, just waiting for a few parts from them to complete it. I ordered the heavy progressive springs for the rear and I am running the one inch spacer on the front. It sits pretty level, and with a little extra weight it rides level. I think I have enough clearance on the pan now, but I am going to pull the springs and do a double check.

photostream

But I have been really liking this set-up more and more. I am going to swap a few things around, namely upgrading to a full flow/bypass oil filter set-up, chainging all the aluminum AN fittings to steel, and probably use different lines all together. Those have been a big waste of money so far, I am tired of dealing with small little leaks from the fittings. I will also at some point run continuous hard piping on the intercooler as much as possible, which will help eliminate some of the little rub areas on the piping and boots. I have not built a fan shroud, and so far I have not even been close to getting even on the high side of normal. I will build one eventually, more than likely. And A/C is getting higher on the priority list as the temp goes up in these parts.
13905251959_2504ecd04a_z_d.jpg

Looks good! What size tires? How is hwy RPM cruising at say 65mph?

...via IH8MUD app

AN fittings leaking. Please expand on that. I am using pretty similar set up on a lot of my lines. I tried to find steel fittings for most but ended up with a few aluminum on low pressure or vacuum lines. Using silicon push/twist lock AN type fittings on most.

Looks good! What size tires? How is hwy RPM cruising at say 65mph?

...via IH8MUD app

AN fittings leaking. Please expand on that. I am using pretty similar set up on a lot of my lines. I tried to find steel fittings for most but ended up with a few aluminum on low pressure or vacuum lines. Using silicon push/twist lock AN type fittings on most.

I just got back from a 400+ mile jaunt into the great basin area. I flogged her pretty good. The truck performed very well, and I had zero problems, hence why I can update this right now!

I am running 33x10.50, I haven't swapped to 35's yet. It cruises at 65 very nicely, in fact, between 60 and 70 feels very good, although the closer to 70 the more it seems like you are pushing the motor a little much. Power on the hills is pretty good, although on the long steeper grades it will slow down a little. Still better than the 3fe. I don't have a working tach yet, the one that came with the adapter was damaged from me threading it in too far, and the flywheel took it out. Oops.

As far as the AN fittings, the aluminum ones seem to leak at the joints where the threaded head is mated to the "tube", if that makes sense, or the swivel area if you are using those. I got a dual remote filter/bypass set-up from amsoil, it came with JIC fittings and some different type of hose, I will get that installed in the next week or so. Then I won't have any leaks, for I am getting them from the fittings and the remote oil filter unit I am using now.

Thanks for taking time last week John to show me your awesome conversion! And especially for letting me take it out for a spin. :eek: Got me excited to get my conversion done and on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom