1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Speedway gas any good?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Josh83, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Josh83

Josh83

Back in the late 80's my dad had to have his carb rebuilt on his 85 hilux and the mechanic told him he had been running junk gas in it. All he had run in it for quite a while was Super America so he quit running it. Now, years later I have never used Super America/Speedway gas and was wondering if it is any good? It is always about 3c cheaper per gallon, and I always have to drive out of my way to get Shell/BP/Chevron. So, is it worth a crap or what?

2. LukeO

LukeO

The gas we get here in NC all arrives from 2 pipelines, every name brand, every octane, diesel, car, jet fuel, whatever. Once the fuel is pumped here through the pipelines indiviual companies take whatever's in the pipe and add their additives (auto specific for example), yet all of these additives are the same regardless to brand. The fuel that gets mixed in the lines like diesel/regular gas/jet fuel, or whatever is either sold or re-refined.

For example. Just because Exxon puts gas in the pipeline at the beginning there is no guarantee it's Exxon gas they're removing here at the end. Exxon is just as likely pull BP or whoever.

Gas sales is probably a perfect example of good old fashioned, American Capitalism.

3. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

Check out this site http://www.toptiergas.com/

Recomended by BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota so there might be something to it.

Their isn't much difference in the gas but there is a difference in the additives. Usually each major companiy will have their own loading dock on the pipeline terminal and this is where the additives are added to the fuel.

Actually the different products Gas,Diesel,kerosene, ect.. are often separated by polyurethane "pigs".

[​IMG]

The guy in the upper left is inserting a "batching pig".

4. decavo

decavo

gas is differnt

i work on fuel equipment ,, the credit cards,, pos terminls and the fuel lines etc.... off brand gas has a sediment in it some times..They buy on the open market cheapest price Just like every thing else there is the bottom of the barrel. I see the filters and what comes out of them .. .. Try not to fuel up after or during a delivery it stirs up the trash in the bottom of the tank and not all stations have filters .. A new station opening up stay clear for a few months until the construction debri in the lines and tank is gone .the filters dont pick up everything . the hoses nozzles have stuff in them too ..

Decavo

5. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

When I worked fueling airliners we would let a tank sit 24hrs after refilling before drawing fuel to avoid sediment and water contamination.