Is common tube steel the same height as the stock inner frame rail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to cut out what remains of my inner frame rail and weld in what I hope is stuck Tube or C channel steel. Also, how do I go about having the rail bend into a curve that follows the path of the arch where the axle moves up and down?

Get a section of frame from another 60.

The steel is not inherently different, however the exact dimensions and bends of the steel is not exactly the same as what you might find at your local steel place.

I am not interested in doing a frame swap. Just want to make it more safe so it is not a worry....then sell the truck. I need to get rid of it as it does not appeal to me anymore.

Okay MABEY I changed my mind about selling it. This is subject to me finding a new job after my move and find a place with a garage. These 60s ...especially Canadian 60s are getting to be really rare. I met two people that I am starting to get close to that own a cnc steel cutting shop AND he has done several 60 engine swaps. The other is a more professional welder then my amature skills. I am not to bad just depends on what is it.

But for now, Want to cut out and replace what is rusted. One option is to have two 1/4 thick steel bent to match the proper radius then, tack weld in place in on the inside and the steel will slightly overlap. Scibe the lower half then rip off both L shaped steel pieces cut/trim off bevel both pieces 45 degrees and tack weld together and see if it slides into the larger outer channel nicely. Mig weld down the center. BTW, some one mentioned that it is not a good idea to mig weld a vertical line from top to bottom of the c-channel as it may come apart under stress? If not, Then should the upper/lower channels be stagered two inches, and continue with more channel to the end?

Last edited:
Also, IS the channel welded every so many inches along the frame? I just need to sell it and buy another vehicle right away preferably mini van.

Riveted mostly

Edit,
he does sell these box kits.
60 C-Channel Repair Rails

Might want to call him to see what's available, but I do not believe that he has actual frame rail sections for where the rear axle can go.

I could be wrong.

I'd still find a reasonable frame to chop up and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom