Is Acetone good for cleaning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can Acetone be used for cleaning mechanical parts (Nuts, bolts, knuckles, etc) ?

Thanks

Can Acetone be used for cleaning mechanical parts (Nuts, bolts, knuckles, etc) ?

Thanks
Yes, but I agree that there are better suited (let alone safer in that application) products out there. For regular ole grease removal, try a regular ole degreaser like Castrol Super Clean or cheap Purple Power. I'd save the acetone for grease removal during paint prep, as it's far better suited for that than the other stuff I mentioned.

Yes, but I agree that there are better suited (let alone safer in that application) products out there. For regular ole grease removal, try a regular ole degreaser like Castrol Super Clean or cheap Purple Power. I'd save the acetone for grease removal during paint prep, as it's far better suited for that than the other stuff I mentioned.

That's actually what I was thinking of using the Acetone mainly for...for removing light great like on the steering components.

Thanks!

Acetone is an organic solvent that can be used for cleaning.
It is the main ingredient in nail polish remover. It can and will melt some forms of plastic so be careful.

If you ever tried the acetone-soaked-cigarette-filter-in-fist-while-pretending-to-be-yanking-it-trick you'll see what I mean.:hillbilly:

I had all of my axle parts in 4 - 5 gal buckets of 100%mineral spirits, and it cleaned them to perfection. Word of warning, wear gloves and a respirator.
later
Scott

Acetone is an expensive part cleaner and it evaporate in the process, however it is very good if you require a oily free surface. Their are lots of other solvents for example electrical cleaner that would be a lot cheaper, less volatile and available in larger quantities. My 2c

I put some greasy parts in some Pine Sol and it worked very effectively. Cheap too :D

I put some greasy parts in some Pine Sol and it worked very effectively. Cheap too :D

lol, ive cleaned my parts with dishwash soap, besh s*** ever!

really cleans the oils off good.:clap:

I've had the same batch of mineral spirits/paint thinner in my parts washer since 2004. Works fine, reasonably cheap.

I keep a lot of brake cleaner around for things that need to be residue free.

Mek is very good. Used it alot to prep the inside of the aircraft fuselodge before painting. Acetone while it can clean parts I would probebly not recomend. Highly flamable and litterly sucks the heat from your hands and pulls every ounce of natrual oils out of the hands. It will casuse cracks in the skin which could be painfull. So if you do use it, use gloves and lots of ventalation.

There are some more water based organic cleaners that will strip the oil from the parts as was mentioned above. One thing that I have not seen is the use of Glicern from home made biodiesel. Read its a excellent degreaser/decarbonizer and most of all, its free as a byproduct that you can make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom