Iron Man vs OME Dakar... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

trim packers in spring packs ?

Correct, OME offers trim packer plates that bolt into the spring pack, basically like a caster/pinion shim without any taper to it. It SUA applications you would use the packer on the high side, a 1/4" packer will lower that side closer to 3/8"-1/2" at the wheel and doesn't look out at place at all in the pack. We stock all the various options and have used them with great results.

Correct, OME offers trim packer plates that bolt into the spring pack, basically like a caster/pinion shim without any taper to it. It SUA applications you would use the packer on the high side, a 1/4" packer will lower that side closer to 3/8"-1/2" at the wheel and doesn't look out at place at all in the pack. We stock all the various options and have used them with great results.

Good to know Kurt .. it sounds bit odd to me, " lower " suspension to level .. but make totally sense.

subscribing to this threat for when I get my cruiser. This will be the first major overhaul item on my list, along with knuckle rebuild, so this is good info. Sounds like Cruiser Outfitters is the place to get the setup.

This image is from the Man-A-Fre website with their OME shackle reversal kit and wondering what size tires are being run in the image.. Looks like probably 33"?

omekit-604sr.jpg

subscribing to this threat for when I get my cruiser. This will be the first major overhaul item on my list, along with knuckle rebuild, so this is good info. Sounds like Cruiser Outfitters is the place to get the setup.

We would love to help you out with both the knuckle rebuild kit and the suspension kit. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with to aid in the decision process.

Random tech question that I cannot seem to find an answer to: The pin on the rear leaf packs is offset, correct? I think they are 47" long but where does the pin sit, front to back? Anyone have any idea?

I am very happy with my Iron Man suspension, good ride and plenty of room for my 33's.

If you don't mind - can you tell me what load rating you purchased? A, B, C, or D? I am about to pull the trigger on an IronMan lift soon and concerned about which leafs I should buy.

mine still leans after almost two years (OME med/heavy). They seem a bit twisted too.

I have OME heavy/med... When I put them on, I put them upside down in th garage and picked the highest ones and put them on the drivers side... There only was only about a 1/4" difference... After installation, no lean at all ... Check your springs in the garage before putting them on... If there is a huge difference in the arch, then, you know there is an issue...

AnkurGT said:
If you don't mind - can you tell me what load rating you purchased? A, B, C, or D? I am about to pull the trigger on an IronMan lift soon and concerned about which leafs I should buy.

I just ordered the exact same ironman kit from ACC that you're about to order. A springs are for a non armored truck, (no bullbar or tire carrier).
I got the B springs which which are very comfy with or with out big bumpers. If you are thinking about getting big bullbars and rear bumper, id get the C spring. And iff you are thinking about big bullbars/rear bumper and ALWAYS having a very very heavy load in the trunk, like 500lbs+, get the D.
Heres a link to the ironman website describing all the spring loads..
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/leaf_springs.html

And if you do get the ironman lift and don't want to spend a fortune getting someone else to install it, pm me and I can come help, I live close to Marietta. I finished doing mine about 1.5 weeks ago. Super fun haha.
also, if you want to save a little money, I have brand new Ironman front shackles that you can have that I didn't use and are now just sitting around so u won't haw to spend $80 on another set, you'll only have to pay $45 lol.
good luck on your build!!

I just ordered the exact same ironman kit from ACC that you're about to order. A springs are for a non armored truck, (no bullbar or tire carrier).
I got the B springs which which are very comfy with or with out big bumpers. If you are thinking about getting big bullbars and rear bumper, id get the C spring. And iff you are thinking about big bullbars/rear bumper and ALWAYS having a very very heavy load in the trunk, like 500lbs+, get the D.
Heres a link to the ironman website describing all the spring loads..
http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/leaf_springs.html

And if you do get the ironman lift and don't want to spend a fortune getting someone else to install it, pm me and I can come help, I live close to Marietta. I finished doing mine about 1.5 weeks ago. Super fun haha.
also, if you want to save a little money, I have brand new Ironman front shackles that you can have that I didn't use and are now just sitting around so u won't haw to spend $80 on another set, you'll only have to pay $45 lol.
good luck on your build!!

Glad to see this post.... Can you please talk about the ride quality while on washboard type "fire" roads and expedition style offroad driving?

dbleon said:
Glad to see this post.... Can you please talk about the ride quality while on washboard type "fire" roads and expedition style offroad driving?

I haven't been able to get any "real" trails yet, but my grandmother has a few acres of woods and fields out behind her house and a small trail next to her creek that I've been down. I did it when i first got the 62 and was flying all around, probably would've been in the backseat if I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Now I drive down te rocky creek and it has definitely gotten a lot more controllable. On the road, it's still a little bumpy since they haven't settled down too much, but is still 10000000x better than the suspension I had on there.
This weekend I'm going to do some trails so I will be able to better answer your question early next week.

I have the Hell Creek lift, my truck sits level, rides nice, and flexes well. They are quite affordable too. I found a coupon code and got my kit delivered for $960. I have added some 2" longer shackles and the kit and really made it work well.

Frank

I haven't been able to get any "real" trails yet, but my grandmother has a few acres of woods and fields out behind her house and a small trail next to her creek that I've been down. I did it when i first got the 62 and was flying all around, probably would've been in the backseat if I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. Now I drive down te rocky creek and it has definitely gotten a lot more controllable. On the road, it's still a little bumpy since they haven't settled down too much, but is still 10000000x better than the suspension I had on there.
This weekend I'm going to do some trails so I will be able to better answer your question early next week.

On the road when you hit a significant bump at speed (say 45 mph) does it jar the truck? Mine is so bad right now I can feel every hit in my spine.... not healthy.

I guess its hitting the bump stops..

On the road when you hit a significant bump at speed (say 45 mph) does it jar the truck? Mine is so bad right now I can feel every hit in my spine.... not healthy.

I guess its hitting the bump stops..

On the highway, there are big potholes and cracks that i hit everyday at 55-75mph and it stays straight. it may jolt the steering wheel a little because it is "loose" feeling, compared to a modern cars, but it hasn't made me think i may loose control or have an accident or anything.
Did you get the IM steering Damper as well? i got one and it made a pretty noticeable difference compared to my old one.

Did you torque the shackles to correct lbs? Maybe that could be your problem hopefully?
-Head plate nuts (side with the grease nipples) - 85lbs
-Nuts on other end of head nut plate - 90lbs
-Small nuts - 40lbs

On the highway, there are big potholes and cracks that i hit everyday at 55-75mph and it stays straight. it may jolt the steering wheel a little because it is "loose" feeling, compared to a modern cars, but it hasn't made me think i may loose control or have an accident or anything.
Did you get the IM steering Damper as well? i got one and it made a pretty noticeable difference compared to my old one.

Did you torque the shackles to correct lbs? Maybe that could be your problem hopefully?
-Head plate nuts (side with the grease nipples) - 85lbs
-Nuts on other end of head nut plate - 90lbs
-Small nuts - 40lbs

Oh no no no.... I'm still sitting on 27 year old springs. Just trying to get an idea of how the Ironman setup feels. I know most people will automatically say "OME", but I'm open to more cost effective options as well. The hell creek is appealing too... made in USA at least.

dbleon said:
Oh no no no.... I'm still sitting on 27 year old springs. Just trying to get an idea of how the Ironman setup feels. I know most people will automatically say "OME", but I'm open to more cost effective options as well. The hell creek is appealing too... made in USA at least.

Oh.. Oops haha. Well I'm very happy with the ironman setup I've got now and would definitely recommend it over stock suspension, but I'd recommend anything over stock haha.
Good luck with which ever one you choose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom