IPOR FJ40 Power Steering Conversion, using FJ60 box

Discussion in 'Iron Pig OffRoad' started by 35inchoverdrive, May 7, 2010.

1. 35inchoverdrive

35inchoverdrive Forge Specialties Supporting Vendor

I thought I would take some time to do a write up on how we do our power steering conversions at IPOR. We really like using the FJ60 setup, and the reasons why can be found at our website-

FJ40 Power Steering Kit [IPOR-FJ40PSKIT] - $1,295.00 : Iron Pig Off Road, Toyota 4WD experts

The first step is box placement. The positioning is pretty straightforward, because there isn't much wiggle room. It sits right in between the front bib, and the shock tower on the driver's side frame rail. You have to trim the inner fender, and in some cases, you have to trim a little off of the shock tower, front bib, and fan shroud. 4 holes are drilled through the frame, and we weld a plate on the backside, and sleeve the holes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. 35inchoverdrive

The power steering pump, hoses, and belt are all bolt-on, using our supplied bracket.

Attached Files:

3. 35inchoverdrive

The steering column is cut a few inches away from the firewall. After grinding the sides of the internal portion of the column flat to match the double-D pattern of the u-joint, you simply slide our column support bearing inside, and bolt on the supplied, collapsible steering shaft.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  4. 35inchoverdrive

The only remaining issue is the draglink. This piece will be different depending on your suspension, steering arm configuration, or what tie rod ends you want to run. The cost of a custom draglink is in addition to the price of kit, because every application will be different. We can keep it simple and build one to connect an FJ60 tie rod end to your existing 40 tie rod end, or we can build one to work with high steer and 80 series rod ends, and anything in between.
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. Hoz FJ40 CO

Hoz FJ40 CO SILVER Star

I want one!!!
  6. 35inchoverdrive

It's a really nice setup. You get the assist, and it still drives like a Cruiser...a really well-behaved Cruiser.
  7. Hoz FJ40 CO

Hoz FJ40 CO SILVER Star

With this setup wouldn't I need to scrap my FJ40 steering linkages and put all new FJ60 steering linkages in. I'm considering going the IPOR route for the FJ60 conversion but for the same price I can get a new FJ40 Power gear box and use and aftermarket pump and resevoir without getting all new steering linkage.
  8. 35inchoverdrive

Using our setup, you keep the stock tie rod, but you have to have a custom drag link made.
  9. Hoz FJ40 CO

Hoz FJ40 CO SILVER Star

Basically have to shorten the drag link where the new box lies. I get it. Thanks for the info.
  10. 35inchoverdrive

At the very least you have to do that, and weld on an end to accept a 60 series rod end, because the taper is different at the pitman. We actually end up using a custom pitman and an 80 series rod end due to parts availability and pricing.
  11. sherms

sherms

Hey i am looking at doing this conversion but liev in Australia and we have really annoying regulations when it comes to mods.
    How much did you have to trim off the shock tower?
    As i am limited to the amount i can take of dew to regulations.

Cheers

Sherms

12. 35inchoverdrive

Here are some shots of the marking and trimming.

Attached Files:

13. 35inchoverdrive

more shots

Attached Files:

14. Max.Powerzz

Max.Powerzz

Best mod I've done, and it just survived Moab like a champ!
  15. bruzer75

bruzer75

I like the look of the FJ60 steering box conversion. This will be one of many projects for me. Thanks for posting.
    Mike
  16. NoeyR

NoeyR

Did you guys at IPOR ever fit this system in a 40 series diesel? I have the 3B motor btw and was wondering if your bolt on pump brackets work.
  17. Rainman

Rainman out standing in my field (getting chiggers) SILVER Star

I have your bearing, shaft and u-joints but the steering column in my FJ40 doesn't have an outer tube past the firewall like you show in the picture above. How do I use the bearing in my setup? It's a June '77 40.
  18. Wolfglide

Wolfglide

I have installed a FJ60 powersteering box in my 73 FJ40. I have a 327 SBC with a saganaw pump. I have 700-r4 trany and it idles at 500rpm.
    I love this FJ60 box above 1000rpm but is seems like there is little assist below that rpm. After reading many posts I elected to use powersteering fluid, that is a little thicker in viscosity, instead of ATF. My thoughts now are that mabbe the ATF will generate more pressure at low RPM and give me more assist when crawling. Any body try both powersteering fluid and ATF ? and what were the results.
    Wolfglide
  19. AML

AML

Hello,
    Do you guys know anybody who installs this kit in or within a few hours of Sacramento, CA? I called a few places I know of and they either do the mini truck conversion or the Saginaw.. This option is nice.
    Anthony