International HS 2.8L Diesel Engine

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech and 24 volts Systems' started by John Smith, Nov 17, 2006.

1. John Smith

John Smith In the garage GOLD Star

Anyone know anything about this engine? It is made in Brazil by International and is a very popular swap into Land Rovers. The specs look like it would make an ideal swap into a 40 or 55. The difficulty would be getting one here and then finding parts I would imagine.

http://www.nav-international.com.br/Motores.asp?Idioma=2&Id=4

The funny thing is that Ford sells this engine in their Ranger pickup in Brazil but of course not here... And they wonder why they are in the mess they are. But that is a whole other thread.

They are not going for cheap on ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turb...cmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ7997424276
    v_g_PowerStroke28L.jpg
  2. kirk

kirk

They are not made by International, but are by a company that they own in south america. I want to say it is MWM???? I think I read something about a company that they or cummins bought down that way. Cool piece wish they had that stuff here, I just cant give up freedom though....
  3. Discyota

Discyota

Being a rover guy I know all about that engine. Look at paying just about 12K for it and all of the parts needed to put it in.

Cummins 4BT is alot more practical. Plus it can be serviced anywhere in america, compared to the 2.8
  4. exmodlad

exmodlad

i have imported these engines to Canada and had one in my Land Rover 110 and have a very large inventory of spare parts for it also and each and every parts box as well as the crate the engine was shipped in, says International Engine's of South America... and the cost is not for the faint of heart

Best Regards

Gord
  5. hdj105

hdj105

That engine is a copy of the factory 200TDi or 300TDi engines which Land Rover fitted to Discovery's sold here in Australia. It looks identical, but was only 2.5 litre displacement.

My guess is that LR sold the blueprints to this company once BMW or even later Ford took them over and they started using the Ford / Peugot derived V6 TD.
  6. AA makes adapters for them, also what TLC is putting into their diesel version Icons.. Great engine but again the costs...
  7. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Ditto .. I have no really good comments about the reliability of this engine .. at least here in Panamá.
  8. I can't seem to find any 2.8L to Toyota 4 Speed adapters....I like the motor...just also like my H41/Fairey overdrive....

-H-
  9. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

I remember talking with a guy in the US that was doing conversions into the Disco's about this engine. He was going to put them in. But had some real issues with the engine passing EPA testing.

Supposedly it won't pass new rules, mainly the reason it isn't sold in NA.
  10. gifu

gifu

TLC sells the adapter... which (i think) makes the the back of the engine look like a chevy. You can then use a common AA adapter to H41 or H55f.

They have swapped about 8 of these... 60's, 55's, 40 series. Motors go for 10K or so... adapter is another 1200 i think. Pricey. Brand new 4BT is $5500 last I checked... of course you'll need $2000 worth of custom sound proofing to make it bearable.

someone was telling me of a lead blanlet that Cummins owners buy to sound proof their motors.
  11. hks3sgte

hks3sgte

I've just heard about issues with the variable vane turbo.

12. Dougal

Dougal

Landrover ditched the 300TDI when they released the 5 cylinder TD5 back around 1999.
    The engine is available with both variable vane turbos and wastegated. The variable vane produces a little more power.
    I'm curious as to how they control the vanes in the turbo, given that the engine is mechanical control and most variable turbos have their vacuum acuators computer controlled. Is it a simple pressure actuator like a wastegate?

Obviously a new head too, the 200/300TDI wasn't four valve.

http://www.mwm-international.com.br/pages/produtos/popFicha.asp?idSerie=44
  13. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

interesting to know .. but I thought are only 3 methods to control the vanes on the turbo ..

Electronic, vaccum or pressure controled .. at least 2 last one are the same method, but with diferent pressures, positive or negative in all ..

Anycase I will trust more in those methods ( lasted ones ) than electronic controled ..
  14. ylexot

ylexot

Its funny to think these would cost $10k for the engine here since there's a company in South Africa that lists an engine swap from a 300tdi to the 2.8l for about $10k. Maybe they include the core return in that price...

As for the variable vane control -- it is equipped with a vacuum pump on the alternator. Don't know if that's how they do it, but thought I'd share.

It sure looks sexy though.