intermittent transfer case grind in fj-62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I searched the forum for other transfer case problems similar to below but no luck.

Today began a what sounds like a grinding noise eminating from the transfer case of my 1988 FJ-62. Occurs only in 4hi and 4lo. Only happens on deceleration or when getting off the gas while in both 4hi and 4lo. The intensity of grind is higher the faster i am going. This does not occur on acceleration in 4hi or 4lo. Never occurs in 2wd, hubs locked or free. While the grinding noise is chattering away if i engage th 4wd button from 4hi to 2wd noise stops. Engage it again and noise appears. Transfer case is not popping out of gear.

I'd welcome anybody's suggestions for what the problem/fix might be?

I can't say for certain but you may have a bearing on it's way out. Differentials tend to make grinding noises on deceleration when the pinion shaft is loose (loses it's preload) which is similar to a worn bearing. Could it be the front axle?

The first thing I would do is check the oil level in the transfer case. Is it full? Next, drain the oil and look for metal particles.

I would take a close look at the transfer case output shaft for the front axle. Is the flange loose? The reason I would look to the front of the case is that the same part of the case is being used to drive the rear axle in both 4WD and 2WD and you say there is no noise in 2WD which just may eliminate the rear part of the case. The grinding occurs in 4WD which is now turning the front part of the case.

Not having the grinding with the hubs locked but not in 4WD may or may not eliminate the flange as the problem and possibly point to an internal problem. But remember the loads from locked hubs in or out of 4WD are different. Noise on deceleration but not acceleration, the gears are loaded differently.

Another thing that might help is to remove the PTO cover plate to look into the case for damaged gears.

Unfortunately the FSM isn't much help in this. Hopefully someone will chime in with additional info.

I hope this has been of some help.

Tony

Ok....I'm not computer savy, so I just figured out how to revive this old thread by Pequiod. My question is, was this problem ever correctly diagnosed? What is the cause and the cure? Sorry for my computer ignorance.

Last edited:
Id be curious too. Ive got this exact same problem. 4wd drive still works great but i get the noise on decel as well.

Id be curious too. Ive got this exact same problem. 4wd drive still works great but i get the noise on decel as well.

how's the oil level? any play in the output shaft front or rear?

Oil level is good. I just put my t/c back together on Sunday. I had to apart to fix some leaks. No significant play in the out put shafts

Oil level is good. I just put my t/c back together on Sunday. I had to apart to fix some leaks. No significant play in the out put shafts

if you just had the case apart, and the noise just started. obviously something did not go back together properly. did you follow the FSM? did you use a rebuild kit?
probably going to have to take it apart again and figure out what is wrong.

Followed the fsm to the letter. I checked and re checked all of the tolerances (torque to spec...etc). Everything was good; she went together without a hitch. I'm going to drain the gear oil, again, and check for any metal particles. Hopefully no issues will be found.

Drained the gear oil and no metal particles:cheers:. The search for the answer continues:bang:

How are the vacuum lines going to the transfer case? One of mine completely rotted out. Been to cold to repair it. I too also have grinding noise. Hope the repair helps

I'm also member of the ''4hi growling club''.Have rebuild and checked the transfer case 2 times,but the mystery remains.

i am now suspecting that the angle of the front drive axle has a big effect on the growling noises,that combined with a little bit to much play in the slip-yoke.

Do all of you ''4Hi growling club members'' have a standard OEM suspension or a raised suspension,like i do.???If it also shows up with standard suspension ,then it can't be the front drive axle angles.Curious to know about that .

I have a TJM extra heavy duty 60mm raised,but added 4 degrees shims between the leaves and the frontaxle.Plus 3cm extended shackles.

It could be time to think about a pre '84 CV front axle?:hmm:

I also have the same noise, mostly on deceleration but sometimes a little bit when accelerating or cruising at a constant speed. Running 33x12.5 on OME heavy lift. Doesn't seem to happen when cold, but only after running for a while.

I too have this issue. When in 4wd it grinds the faster I go or when I step on the clutch. Today when trying to get it out of 4wd it had a loud pop like i broke something, but luckily i didn't. it works great in 2wd with no issues or noise. Anybody have any idea what is causing it? Mine is sprung over if that matters.

Hi fellas,
You might try looking at your front axle drive clutch collar next time you have your case apart. Also, is the engagement of said clutch to much or too little? If I remember correctly, the 60 series is part-time with both outputs in line with each other? If so, I would look at that. There should only be two shifting collars:eek:ne for Hi-N-Lo and the other for 2wd-4wd. The common denominator seems to be that it happens in 4wd, so I would be looking into that front axle engagement clutch or actuator.
Paul :)

Dang, I really need to start reading dates. Sorry. :rolleyes:

I had the grind on deceleration, turned out to be a loose pinion shaft in the diff.

Mine was rear but imagine either could do it. If only in 4wd then I would suspect the front. I just started taking drive shafts off and looking for looseness. It was obvious when I found it.

Try inspecting the front u-joints at the t-case. They are rarely greased because it can be difficult to get the grease gun to the zerk. I have seen these fail numerous times. Remember that there are 3 grease zerk's on the dbl cardan side and 2 on the slip yoke side.

I have the same problem. Brand new H55. Brand new rebuilt transfer. Grinds like hell on deceleration with clutch in or out tranny in gear or Neutral. Happens on nice smooth flat surface and rough terrain. Thought is was a worn front drive shaft. Had that rebuilt by tom wood in Ogden Utah so i know it's good. If I unlock the hubs and keep it in 4wd high or lo the noise is still present! I'm thinking ring an pinion since everything else has 2000 miles on it tops, hell the front drive shaft probably only has 20000 revolutions on it. All output flanges and input flanges are nice and tight . fluids clean and full. Grinding stops if coasting with transfer in neutral. 2wd drives perfect which is good but I want a 4wd rig. It really sounds like something is going to grenade. It only makes the noise if the front shaft is connected via the transfer case being in 4hi or 4 lo, noise is no different if hubs locked or not. It sounds and feels like it's in the tranny or transfer but noise is hard to follow and it telegraphs through steel. I know it's loud because my girlfriend heard it and asked me what was up. And she could drive a car when the muffler fell off and not notice.
Thoughts... comments??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom