Intermittent Squealing During Driving While on the gas pedal in any gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi guys: does anybody have any idea what is causing a intermittent "squealing/screeching noise while foot is on accelerator during driving in any gear, which "goes away if foot is lifted off the pedal momentarily; this occurs on and off randomly and seems to occur in all gears (86 FJ60 with newToy 5-sp tranny with less than 5000 miles on it)i am trying to do minimal driving until l have the $$ to see gary of mudrack and assume any unusual noise is not a good sign/idea to drive the truck until diagnosed. thanks in advance for your help.:doh::frown:

toyslug

it could be a s simple as one of the belts slipping. Make sure your belts are tight and not too worn or glazed.

another for belts. once my rig warms up the screech goes away.

Was everything set up correctly on the clutch when you put in the new tranny. Only asking cause I had a Ford do that in the past and ended up being the throw out bearing going bad. But for the easiest items to check go with belts first also since you say it only happens when you are accelerating have you checked the fan shroud to make sure its not hitting due to a bad motor mount. Just trying to give you some options of things to check.

thanks guys! i hope it as simple as just a slipping belt; i will check out my belts first, but i have a bad feeling it's more than the belts; maybe involving the clutch since i am also starting to heard a "thud"/ low pitch "clang" whenever i release my clutch pedal out; also to clarify, the squeeling/screeching sound occurrs while i am driving with the accelerator pedal at a constant speed; which most of the time goes away when i let up on the pedal or it still continues to make that noise.:confused:

The throwout bearing shouldn't be doing anything when you're not changing gears. The throwout bearing only makes contact and does something when you step on the clutch.

I'm going with the belts as well.

Several thoughts. First, alarmist: my distributor sounded like a howling monkey when it went out. It did so intermittently till I decided not to risk it.

Side note: I noticed a slight high pitch while steady on the gas for a couple of years before the dizzy died and I went full blown half arsed restorification. The noise would go away if I let off the skinny pedal or was in hard accel. There very quietly at idle. I thought I was imagining it. For a while I thought it was preingnition.

Second thought is more along the benign: Speedo cable needs some graphite??? I'm oh so close to getting back on the road, so I can't tell you if my noise is gone. I happen to think it was the dizzy bearing the whole time:meh:. If you have or could get a known good one and swap it in...Although, I don't remember any clunks or knocking noises along w/ the screeeeetch

check the idler pulley under the AC belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom