Insurance woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thumper

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I am having some issues trying to get my FJ40 insured. I currently have AAA and have no problems with them insuring the 2013 Tacoma, 2012 Subaru STi, 2004 Land Cruiser, but they seem to have issues with the 1979 FJ40.

Granted, it is customized, lifted, V8, 5 Speed, etc. and not to mention the evil winch on the front.

Yes, I paid a lot for the truck, but not as much as the previous owner put into it.

I would like to use it as I see fit. With that being said, I'm not hardcore, but just to enjoy the truck.

AAA tried to get AMIG to insure it, but once they saw the pictures of the vehicle, they backed out and cancelled the policy that was previously setup.

AAA then tried to get Hagerty to insure it. They said something about being towed behind an RV is against their rules and declined to cover it. If I changed my mind about that, they would re-consider it. I'm puzzled about this as I don't even have an RV, but I did mention that I might go camping with it.

I know everyone wants that mythical stated value policy, but I'm not sure it even exists or ever existed.

I don't mind have just liability insurance on it as if anything happens to it, I will fix it myself. I am, however, worried about theft. I can't fix that, which is why I would like the stated value policy.

What do you guys use for your own trucks? Any suggestions/advice on this?

Mandatory picture attached.

Thanks,

Jon

20130410-TMC_4381.jpg

Jon,
I'm insured through State Farm, but its liability only.
There was some hackles raised re. The lift (SOA) and I ultimately just told them they were stock springs and they bought that.
They question the mileage every year too, but I tell em the mileage of the motor as its the only thing I really have to go off of.

The rig looks great, BTW!!

K

I am with Progressive on Bikes, Boat and FJ and they are great. They took my stated value for the landcruiser. They didn't need to look at it or anything. :clap:

Jon,
I'm insured through State Farm, but its liability only.
There was some hackles raised re. The lift (SOA) and I ultimately just told them they were stock springs and they bought that.
They question the mileage every year too, but I tell em the mileage of the motor as its the only thing I really have to go off of.

The rig looks great, BTW!!

K

Thanks Chicago. I know what it's like building them and I just didn't want to go through that again. This came pretty close to what I wanted and I didn't pay what the PO paid to have the work done.

It's currently at Mudrak's to figure out some issues and have a little work done to it.

I am with Progressive on Bikes, Boat and FJ and they are great. They took my stated value for the landcruiser. They didn't need to look at it or anything. :clap:

With the stated value, do they allow you to do anything other than car shows, parades, etc? Or did you not tell them that? I have a problem of being too honest with people and it sometimes gets me into trouble. I can't say that I am going to go through the Rubicon with it, but I would like to go to different places with it and go exploring.

Thanks,

Jon

Watching to see what happens. My SIL is a State Farm Agent in Reno so if nothing else I can always refer you to her and she can take a look at the policy for you.

Always curious about thait because I know that if BeBe was to ever go missing I am sure that I would not get much for her (and the policy is with my SIL).

My last experience with Progressive was terrible, yes they took the payments for years,but when it came time to pay off on a wreck they were terrible. Look up their ratings online. Mike

I have everything insured through Allstate. When I lived in San Francisco, they refused to write a Stated Value policy on my Cruiser. As soon as we moved to Nevada, the agent here was happy to do one. I can send you his info if you want.

Watching to see what happens. My SIL is a State Farm Agent in Reno so if nothing else I can always refer you to her and she can take a look at the policy for you.

Always curious about thait because I know that if BeBe was to ever go missing I am sure that I would not get much for her (and the policy is with my SIL).

Thanks. If you wouldn't mind forwarding me her information I will give them a call. Being that the forums are closing in a day for upgrades, please email me jmkuhryATgmailDOTcom

My last experience with Progressive was terrible, yes they took the payments for years,but when it came time to pay off on a wreck they were terrible. Look up their ratings online. Mike

Thanks, I think I will refrain from using them.

I have everything insured through Allstate. When I lived in San Francisco, they refused to write a Stated Value policy on my Cruiser. As soon as we moved to Nevada, the agent here was happy to do one. I can send you his info if you want.

Please, send me the info. See above for email address.

Thanks guys.

Jon

There is nothing wrong with being too honest. The insurance carriers will find any excuse to not pay out after a claim so if it looks like something was misstated or wrong (such as the spring-over-as-stock) on the original contract and you get a diligent adjuster, you'll be hosed.

Thanks Chicago. I know what it's like building them and I just didn't want to go through that again. This came pretty close to what I wanted and I didn't pay what the PO paid to have the work done.

It's currently at Mudrak's to figure out some issues and have a little work done to it.

With the stated value, do they allow you to do anything other than car shows, parades, etc? Or did you not tell them that? I have a problem of being too honest with people and it sometimes gets me into trouble. I can't say that I am going to go through the Rubicon with it, but I would like to go to different places with it and go exploring.

Thanks,

Jon

The only thing they asked is how many miles I would be putting on per year

Not sure if you qualify, but mine is through USAA and it was easy.

B

Thumper - just emailed you the info.

Thanks Greg, going to call her today.

Not sure if you qualify, but mine is through USAA and it was easy.

B

Unfortunately I don't. Wish I had served, but a funky heart valve prevented that.

The only thing they asked is how many miles I would be putting on per year

Being that I've already talked to Progressive and they seem to only be willing to give me a liability only policy, not really what I wanted to hear or get.

It's not like it will be my daily driver as I have 2 other vehicles to drive, but I do want to drive it when/where I want to. Hoping to have everything resolved this week. /crosses fingers.

Jon

Thanks for all the help guys. Thanks to Greg's SIL's office, I now have a stated value policy with State Farm. There are few downsides, 1500 miles a year, no biggie as there are 3 other vehicles to drive. I am just happy to have it insured.

Jon

Glad that she was able to help you out Jon... She is definitely good at what she does and knows her stuff. I think I am probably the most insured man in the state of Nevada next to my FIL. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom