1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing vinyl fencing yourself --

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by erics_bruisers, Aug 27, 2005.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

-- I am looking at the Bufftech vinyl fencing, and the DIY 36" concrete holes --

-- reading some sites, they say they're a bitch to put in, b/c the fences are really temp. sensitive and will buckle in temperature changes if put in too tight --

-- any experience with these?

e

2. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

no experience with vinyl fencing, but why not use wood?

3. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

vinyl lasts a million times longer --

-- so they say it --

i would get this one, 6' tall -- reinforced rods on top and bottom --

e

[​IMG]

4. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

vinyl fencing...........well IMOP it looks like crap.......it looks.....ummmm.....plastic.....

5. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

i am a big fan of durability and low-maintenance though -- and wood blows for both of those --

:(

e

6. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

build it with wood 6"X6" post and the span sections with 4"x4"s, it would probably last longer than the house. have you considered a solid brick wall, those last a long time also.

7. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

hm -- the wood sounds like a good idea, and prob. cheaper --

-- do you have to re-stain pressure-treated every 4 years?

e

8. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

probably, but i don'tknow

i'd leave it as is, "natural" treated wood colour

9. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Note: This thread will self destruct when the bestest answer is received.. :flamingo:

Why the need for durability .. if the end result will lean towards a sterile, artificial look? You make decent coin, don't you Eric? Why not budget for furitre maintenance?

Personally I like the look of old cedar etc ... sometimes embracing entropy can be a healthy thing :D

Ya ain't Hitler ya know .. so quit over designing everything.

Go out and pick up a book called "A Pattern Language" , then buy another titled "The Not So Big House" by Sarah Susanka. You'll come away with an amazing grasp of why some architecture just 'feels' right .. and you'll realize, as a builder, those tools are within your grasp to achieve a comfortable, functional space .

TY

10. fsusteve

fsusteve

Vinyl is big here because of the weather and it looks alot better than it used too. You don't have the play with vinyl you have with wood, get prices per ft for install if you haven't done alot of fencing eric.

11. thorvald

thorvald .......

how bout a nice rock wall :)

how long has the vinyl fence been around? just curious. at old faithful in yellowstone they have walkways made out of recycled plastic and theyre warping. granted the weather there is extreme, but still Id make sure its going to last. OTH, if it does last itd kind of be like a ford pinto that wouldnt die, at some point you'd want it to :D

12. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

White vinyl has a tendency to yellow over time. Ask me how I know.

I just put up a wood fence using treated, and stained it with an air gun, and put copper caps on the posts. Looks great, and will last forever, looks like a million bucks. You might have to respray every five years, will probably take less than a day.

While it might not work if privacy is an issue, have you thought about the new aluminum products that are powdercoated and look like wrought iron? A crew (2 guys) fenced my neighbor's entire yard in 2 hours (they drive the posts into our clay soil, no digging. I have no idea how long this will stay sturdy, but it seemed to be a good product will last forever, and easy install.

Vinyl looks like vinyl, and old vinyl looks like old vinyl. Just my opinion.

13. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

i am going with a 32' span of the bufftech clay --

-- the posts go 30" in the ground --

-- use an 8" auger on this? the posts are 5x5"

-- any experience out there???

THANKS!

e

14. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

vinyl breaks down in about 25 years a wood fence properly intstalled will last 25 years.
    vinyl expands and contracts with temp changes so allow at least 1/2"-3/4" for expansion and contraction...
    cheers

15. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

bufftech has a life-time warranty against --

-- peeling, flaking, blistering or corroding --

-- that, to me, is great -- :D

16. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

17. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

that will be my reality, all too soon -- :|

have to pull the covers off the 'bota -- :D

18. wob

wob

Eric, you are building your house top notch so far, don't cheapen it with a vinyl fence. My 2 cents.

19. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

wob -- this is bufftech chesterfield though -- it's a great fence --

-- there are no other options that i could consider --

-- chain link = ugly

-- aluminum = no privacy

-- wood = weird -- there is no wood on the exterior of my house --

this is what i'm looking at --

[​IMG]

20. srplus

srplus still breathing

I used treated wood... 4x4 uprights with 8' stringers between posts... uprights are 1x6's 8' tall and lap about 1/2" like ship lap siding but vertical... the original fence was built 25 years ago and only had 2 stringers (many had sagged). The shiplap covers the entire fence including the posts. It is a great fence. Layout was really easy.... just stretched the string and laid down the 2x4 stringers with the blocks between them to represent the posts... 1, 2, 3. Eight foot tall fences are great!

Five years ago, I removed all the 1x6's and put three horizontal stringers between the posts instead of the original two... In 25 years I only had to replace 2 - 4x4's when I made the repair... and replaced all the stringers if they needed it or not. The fence is a grey brown that it weathered to in the first year. Very few of the original 1 x 6's have been replaced. A friend has a similar shadowbox treated fence with the newer thinner dog-eared slats that is not holding up as well as the 1 x 6's and he stains it every other year with a pump up sprayer.

I have North Florida clay in my yard, so when I dug the holes, I dug them deeper than needed... put about 4" of gravel in each hole and sand up about 6" above the bottom of the post... then the clay to the top and tamped well.