Installation of replacement leather (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no risk of having the silicone spray stain the leather?

oh man, that is some seriously impressive DIY! Nice work!

the best way to deal with this

attachment.php

Is to take a piece of cloth that is bunched together so it's in the shape of a tube and while holding each end guide it behind the knob and once there rock it back and forth. The idea is for the cloth to catch one side of the clip on the up movement and flick it off.

Putting the knob back on is easier since it just snaps on.

Hope this is understandable.

Nice write up. Curious, what is your opinion of the quality of the leather? Are there any pieces that were vinyl instead of leather, such as the armrests etc(hard to tell from pics).

Anyway, this is the tool used to remove those type of clips on that knob. It is available at any local parts store and is generally an item that is in stock.

apo_t70602.jpg

This tool is used for all of those pesky little plastic push clips behind the door/interior panels and saves many of clips from being broken. This tool is usually stocked as well.

t70606.jpg

Having dealt with these clips countless times on classic cars and the like and used every possible method of removing them I much prefer the tool.

Regardless of either of our preferences, that is what the tool is made for and I thought it might be a good idea to inform folks there is a tool made for the purpose.

To each his own. ;)

Having dealt with these clips countless times on classic cars and the like and used every possible method of removing them I much prefer the tool.

Regardless of either of our preferences, that is what the tool is made for and I thought it might be a good idea to inform folks there is a tool made for the purpose.

To each his own. ;)

nice resume but I've been working on those cars long before they were classics.

The problem with the tool is that it is metal and can mar the material behind the knob. Now when replacing the leather this isn't much of a problem but if you need to go back in there afterwards maybe you don't want to take the chance.

Since you've used every possible method what was it about using a rag that gave you an issue?

As has my father, my uncles and my grandfather. Through our combined experiences and schooling I think I am plenty qualified to have an opinion on this most trivial issue. An issue that for some reason you have taken offense to. Is it because I dont prefer your method?

The problem with the tool is that it is metal and can mar the material behind the knob. Now when replacing the leather this isn't much of a problem but if you need to go back in there afterwards maybe you don't want to take the chance.

If you take some medical tape and tape the edges of the tool this is a non issue.

Since you've used every possible method what was it about using a rag that gave you an issue?

Because I have found that the tool when properly used, with care, is much faster than fiddling around with it.

I prefer my method, you prefer yours. As I said, to each his own. The tool is shown above for those who would like to use it, and for those that don't that's up to them.

My ONLY intention was to inform people that may not know there is a tool available for around 4 or 5 bucks that is designed to remove those clips.

Now what exactly is the problem???

Regardless of the method for removing said knobs, I think Romer did a great job on the leather replacement and I appreciate the write up.
Looks like a quality product.

So there are two methods for getting that clip off when I didn't even know about it. Thanks for the two suggestions. No more disagreement in my thread or I'll have to contact a Mod. Oh wait . . one is wheeling in Moab :D

No vinyl. Leather quality is superb

Romer,
you must be enjoying that new leather smell! I am really impressed

i may have missed it but total time for all the install and frustration, curse-factor level of installation?

excellent job as always Ken.

there is no way in hades I would have the patience to even contemplate this mod.

I'd end up eating a bullet half way through the process.

the best way to deal with this

attachment.php

Is to take a piece of cloth that is bunched together so it's in the shape of a tube and while holding each end guide it behind the knob and once there rock it back and forth. The idea is for the cloth to catch one side of the clip on the up movement and flick it off.

Putting the knob back on is easier since it just snaps on.

Hope this is understandable.

Nice write up. Curious, what is your opinion of the quality of the leather? Are there any pieces that were vinyl instead of leather, such as the armrests etc(hard to tell from pics).

Anyway, this is the tool used to remove those type of clips on that knob. It is available at any local parts store and is generally an item that is in stock.

apo_t70602.jpg

This tool is used for all of those pesky little plastic push clips behind the door/interior panels and saves many of clips from being broken. This tool is usually stocked as well.

t70606.jpg

trust me, the rag is a much better option.

To each his own. ;)

As has my father, my uncles and my grandfather. Through our combined experiences and schooling I think I am plenty qualified to have an opinion on this most trivial issue. An issue that for some reason you have taken offense to. Is it because I dont prefer your method?

If you take some medical tape and tape the edges of the tool this is a non issue.

Because I have found that the tool when properly used, with care, is much faster than fiddling around with it.

I prefer my method, you prefer yours. As I said, to each his own. The tool is shown above for those who would like to use it, and for those that don't that's up to them.

My ONLY intention was to inform people that may not know there is a tool available for around 4 or 5 bucks that is designed to remove those clips.

Now what exactly is the problem???

Speaking of knobs.

You two cut it out.

Ken,

Great job as always!

You have convinced me to get this mod and to have Shane do it for me:beer:

Romer,
you must be enjoying that new leather smell! I am really impressed

i may have missed it but total time for all the install and frustration, curse-factor level of installation?

7 hours the first seat, 3 hours the second

Ken, the leather looks a little baggy on the DS seat back. Did you replace the cushions? Or is this just a bad shot of the seat?

Like I said, crappy installer and the tool broke so I had to make do and did not install all the hooks I should of. I am still happy the way it came out, but I am not a perfectionist

Great job Ken.

For those that know something about leather, before installing, would there be a benefit to doing a really good once over with leatherique or similar before installing? I guess what I'm asking is there a way to improve upon the longevity of the leather by increasing the moisture content before it is installed?

Buck Buchanan

Great job Ken.

For those that know something about leather, before installing, would there be a benefit to doing a really good once over with leatherique or similar before installing? I guess what I'm asking is there a way to improve upon the longevity of the leather by increasing the moisture content before it is installed?

Buck Buchanan

Good question, Buy a good quality leather conditioner from a furniture store as auto stuff is 3x the price. Follow the directions and enjoy.

Shane

Good question, Buy a good quality leather conditioner from a furniture store as auto stuff is 3x the price. Follow the directions and enjoy.

Shane

Leatherique; it's like cocaine for leather (with out all the bad side effects)
PRODUCTS

And it smells just about perfect. It's better than Zaino bro's leather stuff, which I thought was pretty daggum good. Chemical Guys also make really good leather products and sell it in bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom