informal poll on color swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a recent inductee to the LC owners club, thought about time to post pics. But also wanted to get opinions on a potential color change.

First - here is the ugly beast. Got the truck for $1 from a family member for some trade work on his house and the understanding that it probably had a blown transfer case.

IMAG1218.jpg

IMAG1213.jpg

Turns out transfer case was fine. Since didn't have to pay for that got busy fixing everything it needed as the maintenance wasn't too good. Fortunately nothing had been severely damaged and at least the oil changes were done as they should so engine internals in great shape. Here is most of what I've already changed plus also pulled the oil pans and front diff to reseal all the gaskets and eliminate a few small leaks. Currently rebuilding the master cylinder so hopefully parts here this week.

IMAG1219.jpg

Now the real question - which color. I like the idea of a metallic dark jade green or a little homage to the local sports team so a metallic flake gamecock red. These are not perfect images but just me messing with photoshop for a couple hours. You can see that I've already started the process but I will strip nearly all the paint and fix all the little door dings and couple of minor dents. Tempted to delete and fill all the plastic trim pieces, but most likely will refurb or replace them. Haven't decided about also making them a different color.

Green.jpg
Gamecock Red.jpg

Anyway - much thanks to everyone here on MUD for the great advice and help getting this thing fixed up. Hopefully next summer road trip back out west (I grew up in Utah) to go explore explore Moab and CanyonLands with a more capable rig than the old Isuzu Trooper I used to drive out there.

My 80 was originally OEM green, and the PO did it in the FJ40 Dune Beige. I REALLY liked it. But alas, color is a very personal choice.

edit: but of the two you posted, the green does it for me over the red. I'm jaded by having a red Datsun pickup when I was in school, and it faded to uh... pink-ish. I'm sure auto paint has come a long way in 30 years, but still the harsh memories linger.

Had never seen the color chart before - may have to take a serious look at that Black Garnet Pearl. Black and Garnet - Gamecock colors all in one!

Blue Mica or the green in the 06-07 LX

I say paint it.

As far as color choice...you've chosen the two I dislike most...so no help there!

You should look at all of the OE Toyota Land Cruiser colors through the years...there are some really cool ones.

Looking forward to your end result...regardless.

Red would be pretty sharp. I like those white cruisers though. Starfire metallic white is a great color.

Personally, I would do a vinyl wrap. It's WAY cheaper and if you don't like it, or are ready to sell your rig, bringing it back to stock, just peel it off! No harm-no foul...
Looking at your handy work with all you're doing, you can buy yourself enough vinyl wrap online for a couple hundred dollars and do it yourself. A new color for each season would probably still be cheaper than a full repaint. The best part I like is there's no prep work involved! Just be sure you have a VERY clean surface before applying.
Here's a link I found on DIY vinyl wrap: http://www.rvinyl.com/DIY-Wrap-Buying-Guide.html

Some of my favorite Toyota colors. The Anthracite on the 3rd Gen 4Runner would look Boss on a 100.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424893361.915787.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424893372.032037.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424893382.036610.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1424893397.093216.jpg

The 100s also came in a Copper/Bronze similar (less orange) to the 1st Gen 4Runner...and the 200 Series Amazon Green is a home run.

I say paint it.

As far as color choice...you've chosen the two I dislike most...so no help there!

You should look at all of the OE Toyota Land Cruiser colors through the years...there are some really cool ones.

Looking forward to your end result...regardless.

I have to agree. I'm not a fan of red or green on LCs, but there are some good OE and aftermarket colors. Another option you might want to check out is a vinyl wrap. I rented an R8 for my girlfriend's bday (I'm very lucky that she actually wanted to drive a V10 convertible through the mountains for a present :) ), and it was wrapped in a really cool flat bronze wrap. I'll bet if you're handy, which it seems like you are, you could probably do this yourself for a few hundred bucks (I had to ahem, safety test the R8 to ensure it was ok for the lady):

IMG_1309.JPG

Personally, I would do a vinyl wrap. It's WAY cheaper and if you don't like it, or are ready to sell your rig, bringing it back to stock, just peel it off! No harm-no foul...
Looking at your handy work with all you're doing, you can buy yourself enough vinyl wrap online for a couple hundred dollars and do it yourself. A new color for each season would probably still be cheaper than a full repaint. The best part I like is there's no prep work involved! Just be sure you have a VERY clean surface before applying.
Here's a link I found on DIY vinyl wrap: http://www.rvinyl.com/DIY-Wrap-Buying-Guide.html

This would be tempting but there are way to many rock chips, small dents and imperfections for it to look good. Photos don't really show it but hood, back passenger door, rear quarter panel, and upper rear door have had a horrible repaint some time in the past. The clear coat has disintegrated or is a dingy yellow and base coat not much better. These areas are going to have to be sanded to bare metal and redo any previous body work.

Cost is not going to be too high as I already have the compressor and some good HVLP guns I've used for cabinet refurb and rebuilding (where I learned how to do a decent paint job). Labor done by me and 15 yr old son who needs to earn the right to drive the vehicle to school and practices when he reaches 16. Thinking I can have it looking like new for under $1000 in paint and supplies.

If you are planning on building the truck up, I personally would Mostaline it. http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

I thought about having the entire truck in Line-X or Rhino but that was looking like a $4k-$6k investment and just not worth the cost to me. This Monstaline looks like a viable alternative, but at this point kind of looking forward to the challenge of doing a full vehicle paint job along with teaching my son how to do some of this kind of work. But if not happy with end result I know I could cover it all up with this so thanks for the suggestion!

I really like non-metallic paint, IMHO it actually stands out from the crowd more now that every car on the road seems to be a metallic color.
The SC dark red with black out lights, black badging, and dark tint windows would look pretty cool IMHO.

BTW I vote remove the plastic and fill the holes.

I have always had a sweet spot for the Desert Bronze Metallic color - every time I see @OregonLC rig it makes me drool and I'm not even ashamed of it. There seems to be a fewer number of them around but they look gorgeous IMO!

^^Yeah, better to park it under a powerline full of pigeons than to paint it gamecock colors. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom