In an accident today - front fender/bumper damage... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was thinking this would be the perfect opportunity to get an ARB or TJM bumper. How does this work with insurance? I'm guessing I could choose my bumper and pay the difference? Any advice?
photo-1.jpg

Yup, your insurance company will cut you a check for the replacement cost of the OEM bumper (including parts, labor, paint, etc) and you're free to do as you please with the funds. I don't know how much an ARB bumper goes for, but hopefully you'll get enough from insurance to cover most of it. Good luck!

Dependnig upon you insurance, you'll either be asked to get 3 quotes from body shops (hint, take it to dealerships for quotes), or an adjuster will do it for you. Try to get the three quotes, I think you'll do better.

Hood, grill, fender lining( just push back up, it's chinsey plastic) look fine ( dealership will quote to replace them). Can't exactly tell if the hood is straight though. I would get a quote, see what you can nor replace and get what you need fixed. Then figure out what you have left and order it. They may even replace your suspension since it's close to the damage. Probably will.

FYI: when I "tapped" my fender on a tree the dealer quoted me $2800 to replace the fender, fender lining, front bumper and supports, hood, and headlight. Only thing that was touched was the fender. Good luck on your search.

Basically you'll get two quotes - one to fix the bumper and one to fix everything else. The insurance cut you a check for the bumper part and pay the body shop for everything else. I haven't priced a 100 bumper, but for our 80 I could have made money OEM vs. ARB.

FYI, no more TJM in the US. You're stuck with ARB, Slee, or one of the other custom shops.

Pathways/ADP quote for Bumper Cover from major insurance company will be around $600 Aftermarket, $680 OEM. Your are half way to a custom.

Last edited:
The insurance carrier has the right to use parts in "like condition" as it's an older vehicle which means that it can source a salvaged fender / bumper which is minimal in cost. The adjuster will write up an estimate and the carrier may force the body shop to accept it. A lot of carriers have pre-existing contractual relationships with body shops and the shop may not want to step on the toes of the carrier and risk losing business so they may actually accept the adjuster's estimate even after they give you a higher estimate.

The insurance carrier has the right to use parts in "like condition" as it's an older vehicle which means that it can source a salvaged fender / bumper which is minimal in cost. The adjuster will write up an estimate and the carrier may force the body shop to accept it. A lot of carriers have pre-existing contractual relationships with body shops and the shop may not want to step on the toes of the carrier and risk losing business so they may actually accept the adjuster's estimate even after they give you a higher estimate.

yeah that happened to me.

I'm now insured with a well respected co in Oz and those Aussies that know of this co know how good they are.
I have a tailored insurance policy which covers my recovery gear , camping gear, and the right to choose the repairer and if it's a write-off i get first option to buy it back should i choose to do so.

Whilst some or a lot of the above might be common for you USA guys n gals - here, nope.
When i was leasing the beast and reversed into a bollard, i had to go thru the leasing companies preferred repairer which i didnt want to do, but i had no choice. And whilst they did a good job, i wasnt happy that they didnt TRY and repair the damage. An old style panel beaters/smash repairers (as we call em here) could have fixed the damage in my view.

They replaced the LHR quarter panel. I saw the work. It was top shelf, but still, i think they did it so they could get max $$$ from the insurance co. It cost me $500 which was an "excess" clause, common in Oz. I was privately told the repair and paint they billed the insurance co was about $7 - 8k.

Now i own it outright, my insurance co seriously are the best co i have ever dealt with as everything i have done (performance exhaust, ARB deluxe bar with winch, custom side steps, snorkel, etc) are all covered and the insured value i have is well above the "Red Book" (used car sales guide) value. As it should be in my opinion.

They now also insure where i live.
cheers
peter

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom