Ifor for those that want to import from Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a Canadian and, in advance of listing my LX450 for sale (locked, clean, maintained 115k miles), I wanted to post some information regarding purchasing a Canadian vehicle and importing it to the US.

I am not going to to touch on JDM's because that process is, frankly, a PITA. (just break it and box it folks...much easier)

Using my own upcoming situation as an example, it works as follows:

1. US Buyer & CDN seller agree on price & payment. Many methods to do this including wire transfers, paypal, certified cheques, escrow etc. The list is a long one.

2. Seller enlists the service of a Registered Vehicle Importer/Exporter to facilitate the process (not required, but for simplicity sake using this method).
In my case I would use Cross Border Vehicle Services http://crossbordervehicle.com/ because they do this for 200-400 vehicles per month & have the system down to a science. They are also registered with DOT & other US authorities.

3. I bring the vehicle to CBVS and pay them $895 & because it's VIN# starts with "J" denoting Japanese manufactuer, duty in the amount of 2.5% must be paid to satisfy the US gub'ment. i.e. If selling price is 10k the duty would be $250.

4. CBVS takes the vehicle does all the paperwork including a titling package for the buyer, bonding yada yada & brings the vehicle to a location in the US.
If I was selling to someone in Blaine WA the transport is included in the $895. Other locations will have different fees (Seattle +$250, Florida + $1200)

5. The keys are left with a key service open 24/7. The buyer Shows their identification and legally takes possession of the vehicle to the satisfaction of all powers that be.

6. That's all she wrote. Your choice what to do next. Go to DMV on the spot or load it on a trailer & register it in Miami, Raleigh or Waxatachee or put a Uni-horn on the front and ride that Cruiser over a rainbow.

It is fairly simple in my case because the '97 LX450 is already listed as a vehicle that meets EPA and DOT requirements. It has been scrutinized by the Feds & determined that the Canadian version is identical to the US version except some decals and the Speedometer/Odometer & thus do not have to jump through hoops made of red-tape.

A note regarding the Odometer...if it is a private sale, that is to say not going to a US dealership to be sold, the Odometer does not need to be changed.

Also worth mention that if a private sale the buyer needs to provide their SSN & a Business requires their Federal ID.

~Cheers

Should be a sticky maybe? Or in the FAQs? Because this is going to be more and more common as these rigs age...

I think to be sticky worthy I would have to add appropriate links to information resources on the subject & make it less tailored to my situation.

Might do that at some point because I know importing can trigger anxiety. Clarity might alleviate that angst to some degree and facilitate cruiser fans acquiring what they want.

For what it's worth, I called Cross Border Vehicle Services today regarding this process to ship a LX 2006 from Ontario Canada region to the Western U.S. The paper work price was $2500 not including shipping. I asked why the cost was so high and was put on hold for a minute or two. Her response after talking with her manager was "we are going to pass on this". Well okay then.

-Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom