1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

idle selenoid?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ_MONSTER, May 13, 2003.

1. FJ_MONSTER

FJ_MONSTER

on the 2barrel aisan carb, where does the wire that comes out of the idle selenoid connect to? is it any old 12V source or something specific. its on a desmogged 75-76?or so.it actually runs fine without it connected but i hate loose ends so please tell me where it goes to.
    shawn

2. FJAfrica

FJAfrica

There should be a wire coming out the firewall above the negine, 2 actually, one for the water temp, the other for the idle solenoid. The solenoid is connected to the ignition circuit.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Mine connects directly to the distibutor side of the ignition coil.

4. FJAfrica

FJAfrica

That sounds strange, as the distributor side of the coil is a switched negative, therefore your idle solenoid should be switching in and out and the carb would then need to be positive. Maybe I'm way off the mark here, but does your solenoid 'click' when you turn the ignition on? :dunno:

5. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

It can be wired to any switched 12v circuit. I had to run a new one for mine when I re-wired the truck. Be sure it is switched or you will have battery issues and may burn the solenoid up.

6. IDave

IDave

Media:
    FJAfrica,
    Mia culpa, I was mistaken. It does connect to the positive, ignition side. Just waking up, I guess :dunno:. Thanks for pointing it out!
    IDave

7. FJAfrica

FJAfrica

No problem, sorry, forgot about the time difference, I'm heading home from work just now.