Ideas for a receiver hitch for my fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So recently I was able to get my hands on a free receiver hitch off of a friends heep Cherokee. With the intentions of modifying it to fit on my 7/70 fj40 with a stock bumper. I've been throwing around the idea of building a new tire carrier/rear bumper with recovery shackles incorporated into it. But now I am thinking that I could ditch that idea and build a mount for my space inside my cruiser. I've never had the intentions of adding rear seats and don't like the bolt on tire carrier I purchased from JTO years ago. So the receiver would be mostly for a slide in shackle if the need ever came about. Has anybody ever added a receiver hitch to the frame of their 40? Would this be a bad idea? What's the thoughts from the peanut gallery?

I sell one very similar to what bkdraft posted. That said, I would NOT RECOMMEND it for a pull point. If pull points are your ultimate objective I would look into attaching D rings via individual mounting plates OFF center where the rear frame member has more support.

Hawkdriver had a good idea in using a 1" thick stock that went inboard of his front bumper at the point of the main framerails. This is a good point for stress transfer, which is why all Class 3and4 hitches tie into the framerails.

Best

Mark

Cool thanks Mark, I appreciate any input. I am just trying to brainstorm a use for this thing. This receiver fell into my possession. Thought maybe I could get some use out if it.

Cool thanks Mark, I appreciate any input. I am just trying to brainstorm a use for this thing. This receiver fell into my possession. Thought maybe I could get some use out if it.

FWIW If there is any chance you will be installing an auxiliary fuel tank, in the back, between the rails, it would be best to plan the hitch and the aux tank together... Installing one may eliminate the possibility of installing the other...

This is a very VERY good point Danny. As one of the vendors that sells aux tanks, I can tell you many many people have been frustrated by this. When people ask me about exhaust systems to go with headers, I usually try to remind them to route so as to not preclude an aux tank.

Good catch @pngunme

Last edited:
The exhaust routing is an excellent point Mark!

BigCity, as Mark said, the exhaust routing is very important too... So, exhaust routing can preclude aux tank and aux tank can preclude or make very difficult a frame mounted hitch... All we are saying is, think about what you ultimately want, so you don't end up with unplanned do-overs.

FWIW @Barn find sells these bumper mounted hitch receivers... I don't recall the price, but I'm pretty sure it was a bit cheaper.
Thank you for posting this, all for supporting our fellow people. I knew I had seen a post with these for sale, but could not locate it to post a link to.

Thanks for the input. I have no plans for a aux tank in the future. Unless I stumble across a ton of cash somewhere. Then it'll be a full resto with all my wants checked off the list.

Sent from my iPhone

FWIW @Barn find sells these bumper mounted hitch receivers... I don't recall the price, but I'm pretty sure it was a bit cheaper.

Yes, but his hitch sales are not tied to the production of a new batch of headers; mine are.;)

Remember the old saying: just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I don't think a bolt-on hitch is a good idea for you.

Remember the old saying: just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I don't think a bolt-on hitch is a good idea for you.

I agree... Not if you plan to sling that much weight off of it. Granted, the hitch weight would likely be less than normal small trailer tongue weight, but a spare, Jerry can, cooler, etc. adds up and it's gonna bounce a flex and stress a lot in the back of a 40, with only those four bolts into the center of the bumper.

Sorry to step on your headers Mark... I missed your point.

Not sure if we're talking about two different things here. I have a full size bolt to the frame type receiver. Not one that's the 4 bolts to the bumper. I've had ideas for a tire carrier. One that would be a new bumper extended from the OEM bumper or frame rails. But I've been rethinking that idea and may scrap it. Build a mount that sits inside my 40 and then modify the receiver to bolt on to my frame rails. But like I said just shooting out ideas and getting feedback.

Sent from my iPhone

FWIW If there is any chance you will be installing an auxiliary fuel tank, in the back, between the rails, it would be best to plan the hitch and the aux tank together... Installing one may eliminate the possibility of installing the other...

In that case you would tack weld a backing plate with captives on the backside of the frame so you can install and reinstall a component without
dropping the aux tank

Clear as mud. Post a pic.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448484782.761500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom