Icon install - 2005 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installed front and rear Icon Stage 3 shocks on my 2005 LX470 today. These follow the Nitro upper control arms I installed a few weeks ago.

I purchased the shocks and UCAs from Carl at Just Differentials. Both Carl and Jeremy from Icon (also Brian) were very helpful leading up to the purchase, and both were great to deal with when I was accidentally sent 200-series rear shocks. Needless to say everything worked out and 100-series remote reservoirs with CDC valves are on all four corners.

A few notes on my install:

I wanted boots protecting the shafts, even on the fronts. I ended up cutting down the Icon-supplied shock boots (had to purchase these separately) to better fit the shaft lengths--otherwise you need to run the boot all the way up the shock body to accomodate the full length of the long boot. I used a hole punch to re-establish breather holes in the top pleat, and cut a big drain hole in the bottom one. Used a hose clamp to secure the boots rather than zip ties.

The fronts were pretty straight forward. I netted barely under an inch of additional droop for about 24.5 inches hub center to fender, with both sides hanging free and no anti-sway bar.
I swapped out the double-nut on the top mount for a nylock, and loaded the lower bushing by jacking up the lower control arm a bit. Starting the nut was no big deal and tightening it down until a few threads showed was easy as well.
Passenger side reservoir mount was easy as described in the instructions. I accidentally overshot my hole diameter when drilling the hole on the driver's side (misread my stepped drill bit) so the supplied self tapping bolt wouldn't work. I was able to back a nylock nut onto another bolt I had instead, which worked out great.

Front Icon and OME:
20160625_112914.jpg

Passenger side:
20160625_110019.jpg

20160625_105719.jpg

The rears were a little more challenging. The top nuts are difficult to reach, but I was mostly challenged by the tight tolerance between the lower mount stud and the spacers/rod end. I sanded the studs to make the tolerance, but I worry that getting the driver's side back off again is going to take lots of extra vocabulary and a puller. Spend the time to sand down any corrosion on the stud and have a Dremel handy to fix any trouble spots on the spacers.
The total droop on the rear axle is significantly increased. I did not measure, but with the shocks fully installed and the rear axle hanging free, I can pull the OME 863 coils without too much effort. I'm going to have to figure out some kind of retainer for the coils. I've got extended brake lines and axle breathers, and the only thing that appears a bit strained is the parking brake cable. No big deal.
Finding a good location for the rear reservoirs was also challenging. Icon gives you lots of hose length to work with, but I think the 45 degree elbow where the hose meets the shock is less than ideal. I ended up mounting the passenger side reservoir on the inside of the main frame rail, just above the lower control arm bracket, next to the muffler. I've got an aftermarket muffler (smaller), so there is some space. Not ideal, and I will watch the the location for too much heat, but I think it will work. I used the supplied bracket and bolt capture tab. I did have to Dremel out a factory hole a little bit.
The driver's side reservoir ended up on the underside of the cross member just in front of the rear axle, just behind the gas tank. Again, I used the supplied hardware and a factory hole in the frame. Had to open up the hole a bit and trim down the capture tab. Pretty good location I think.

Rear Icon with OME:
20160625_163632.jpg

Passenger side rear:
20160625_183329.jpg

Driver's side rear to follow, below...

Last edited:
I've only been able to take the truck for a quick spin around the neighborhood following the install, but the Icons set at "4" are clearly softer than the OMEs. Not wallowy or mushy, but definitely less harsh. Better ride for sure. I think body roll is about the same. I look forward to taking it off road. I'll also be experimenting with the compression settings.

:beer:

Hayes

Did you put longer brake lines in just in case or is that a requirement? I did my stage III install back in April and we didn't see any issues with the length...were we wrong?

Nice set up. Does the kit come with new Springs as well? Or you had some from your ome setup. What much lift are you running?

Nice set up. Does the kit come with new Springs as well? Or you had some from your ome setup. What much lift are you running?

I'm running OME torsion bars and OME 863 coils. My front end is around 21.5 to 21.75" hub center to fender, which is about 2" over stock.

Did you put longer brake lines in just in case or is that a requirement? I did my stage III install back in April and we didn't see any issues with the length...were we wrong?

I've read everything from "not needed" to "just tweak the bracket," so I decided to just install the extended lines. Icon does not specify any addition modifications, but I think there is a clear need to consider coil retainers or limiting straps, so who knows.
Jack up your truck and see how the lines from the frame to the axle look. It's probably fine, but on the edge.

I've read everything from "not needed" to "just tweak the bracket," so I decided to just install the extended lines. Icon does not specify any addition modifications, but I think there is a clear need to consider coil retainers or limiting straps, so who knows.
Jack up your truck and see how the lines from the frame to the axle look. It's probably fine, but on the edge.

That was the test we did, and it all looked fine to me. The only time it was ever close was when we dropped the axle to put the shock in. I also went through Carl at Just Differentials and figured he would have mentioned something or included it in the kit which I ordered up from him. I figure I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the response

My passenger side rear reservoir was picking up significant heat from the muffler. After even a short drive around the neighborhood, when the other reservoirs were merely warm to the touch, this reservoir was downright hot.

So I got a little crafty last night and fabbed up a heat shield from a piece of aluminum sheet, some rivets, and seal washers. The result looks relatively good (even though it cannot be seen from anywhere except for underneath the truck) and it is very effective at shielding the reservoir from the exhaust heat. There is no noticeable temperature difference between this reservoir and the others discernable by touch, with the heat shield installed.

20160630_133541.jpg

20160630_133947.jpg

20160630_134243.jpg

:beer:

Can you give me an idea of what kind of weight you are running in the rear and how these do? The Fox 2.0s are not cutting it anymore.

Can you give me an idea of what kind of weight you are running in the rear and how these do? The Fox 2.0s are not cutting it anymore.

A rear Bump It Off Road bumper with tire carrier, sliders, and front Slee bumper are my big weight additions. I've only been driving on road since the install, but the default setting (4 of 10) seems good. As I said above , softer than OME but well controlled. With the ability to turn up the compression damping, I'm sure one could find the desired amount of firmness. If you find yourself always running at the high settings, or if you don't want to pay for the adjustable version, Icon can customize your valving.

Last edited:
did your stage 3 kit include the mounting brackets for the reservoirs?

My LX has been sadly confined to asphalt this summer, but I was able to get it out on a rough road in the Uintas yesterday and see how the Icons handled (Murdock Basin to Echo Lake). Nothing even requiring 4wd in my opinion, but enough angular cobbles and small boulders to make for a very rough ride.
I'm happy to report that even at my 38 psi cold highway pressure, the Icons gave an unequivocally better ride than the OME Sports that they replaced. The hard edge was taken off the rocks, almost like running at a lower tire pressure.
Once I dropped the tire pressure to 30 and disconnected the front antisway bar, the ride was downright plush. I'm confident that at my typical "wheelin'" pressure of 20-25 psi, my LX will float with the Icons.
Eagerly awaiting some fall weather to head to the desert.

A couple pics just because:

2016-08-14 12.30.41.jpg

2016-08-14 12.31.19.jpg

Nice set up-

Interested to know your post lift, post Nitro UCA install alignment numbers- especially your caster numbers.

Looks great and I have only heard positive feedback about Icon. Looking forward to desert testing report.

It your rear springs are that loose at full droop you will want to address it ASAP. In an emergency situation you can loose your spring and bad things can happen, I have seen it first hand. Super easy to address without need of special tools. If you go with the way I did it the hole is already in the lower perch add a bent piece of strap and you will be good to.

IMG_5821.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom