1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Want Washer Fluid that Won't Freeze!

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by supercarrera, Dec 8, 2010.

1. supercarrera

supercarrera New Dome LEDs SILVER Star

But I live in a temperate climate and they don't sell it anywhere around here. I bought some a couple years ago at a gas station in Tahoe but don't feel like waiting until I get up there again. Can I just make some using conventional fluid and adding antifreeze or isopropyl alcohol?
  2. 96Cruiser13

96Cruiser13

3. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict SILVER Star

Check Wal-Mart out. They have washer fluid that can handle -30 deg. F. They have higher methanol content.
  4. VFRMAN

VFRMAN SILVER Star

I waited too long this fall and the minivan fluid froze up with the summer bug guard crap in there. What a pain. When it froze, the tube actually popped off under the hood where it mounts to the wiper arm. Once it thawed out, I must have wasted a gallon before I figured that one out. :eek:
  5. 80t0ylc

80t0ylc Hill & Gully Rider SILVER Star

Years of experience has taught me to run WW antifreeze year around. It's not that expensive and it keeps the system from freezing as we all have better things to remember than to get this drained & changed before the 1st freeze.
  6. photomike

photomike SILVER Star

I like the stuff that has the Rain=x in it. Never froze for me but I dont live way up north.
  7. jasonb75

jasonb75

When I worked on aircraft in the Navy, we used isopropyl alcohol. you could use that, but probably would be a good idea to dilute it a bit with water.
  8. Offroads4x4

Offroads4x4

Vodka will work. LOL!
  9. TJ96TLC

TJ96TLC

Seriously, rubbing alcohol cut in 1/2
  10. TJ96TLC

TJ96TLC

supposed to be 9 deg in AL next week.
  11. lndcruz

lndcruz

Don't remind me:frown: The cruiser is already groaning in this 20 degree weather.

12. yoopercharged

yoopercharged SILVER Star

Rain-x Orange. Haven't froze it at -25F. You can add yellow heat (methanol) to your reservoir if you need to improve what's in there.
  13. reconranger

reconranger SILVER Star

Rain-X in Maine. No freeze yet.
  14. 7schulz

7schulz

Rain X in IN 10deg this morning no freeze and my cruiser loves the cold, I haven't had any trouble in the single digits to low double digits at all for the last 2 weeks.
  15. robertaleon

robertaleon

I hate to say it but my new Disco2 came with the sub-zero fluid back in the day. Dare I put LR washer fluid in the LC? Beside making my headlamps stop working at night will it make my LR cupholder no longer function as well?
  16. yoopercharged

yoopercharged SILVER Star

It will wreak havoc on your electrical system. :grinpimp:
  17. CycloSteve

CycloSteve SILVER Star

I buy bulk Methanol in 5 Gallon containers and mix with 51% distilled water. It would likely never freeze.

Use with my 80, but primarily do this for my Audi which has a Water/Meth injection system which uses the same container for the windshield wipers and chemical cooling of the Supercharger. The 80 does not have any detonation issues so far, so no W/M...just homebrew wiper fluid. ;)

:cheers:

Steve

18. Yep. I have a 50 gal barrel of methanol from running it in my supercharged 80. I mix it 1/3 with water. I've never had it freeze on me and it gets cold here on the eastern side of the Sierra's. It's also a lot cheaper in the long run compared to buying the stuff already premixed and your getting a higher percentage of methanol.
  19. darwink1

darwink1

My winter junk froze last night lol. -40 my ass.

D
  20. LINUS

LINUS

+1

I've gotten the orange Rain-X stuff at the local AutoZone for the last couple years, and I swear I've seen it at the Shucks/Crager/O'reilly stores too.

It's decent stuff, seems like wiper blades last a little longer using it too - plus the water beads up & bugs don't stick as hard in the Summer.