I smell gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I smell gas at the gas cap when the 80 is parked. I guess I need a new cap Could there be a problem with the charcoal canister? At above 11000" the canister was making noises like it was a coffee maker.

Kurt,

Add a gas cap to your shopping list. I just changed mine recently for that exact issue (77310-35080)

I just tested the canister and it failed the test.
I blew air (the manual says 0.68 psi, I don't know what 0.68psi is) so I just blew in with my mouth over the hose.
When I blew into the tank pipe there was resistance, the manual says there should be no resistance.
I blew into the purge side there was no resistance, there should be no air flow from other pipe.
I cleaned the canister and the problem is still there.
As the system is working backwords, can I hook the tank hose to the purge pipe and the purge hose to the tank pipe?
Or will there be an explosion :eek:

I can get a used canister for $50. Can the can be rebuilt? It seems that the valve in the canister is stuck the wrong way.
Could I use a canister from another toyota vehicle?

is the canister what makes noise like a power steering pump being out of fluid when your not moving or turning the wheel?
just curious ::)

Gas cap 91-97 77310-35080, list $13.76

Canister 91-2 77740-60200, list $308.81

Canister 93-4 77740-60310, list $279.54

Canister 95-7 77740-60350, list $218.57

The noise was when the motor was off. After blowing with much resistance, into the tank pipe, I see why it is making noise. The pressure must build up in tank and force open the valve in canister. I should flow free per manual.
Other than for emissions and venting the tank what does the canister do?
At those prices, I would say used is the way to go.

I am going to try one from the junk yard. The local yard doesnt have any LC but one from a Toyota I hope will work :-\

Kurt,

Keep in mind that the charcoal in the canister gets saturated with fuel over time. I'm not sure why but, according to the FSM and other sources, once they are saturated they should be replaced. Getting one from a boneyard is a real crap shoot. I replaced mine with a new OEM a little over a year ago. Why it became saturated is still a mystery to me.

-B-

Hltoppr, Did you test your canister? How hard was it to blow into the tank pipe? Did the purge pipe flow freely or not at all?
kurt

I sprayed some carb cleaner in the canister. I now can blow into the canister with compresed air and make the check valves/balls make noise.
It is still hard to blow into the tank pipe and the purge side has no resistance.
I went to junk yard but the only canister that was big enough to fit in the 80 was form a newer chevy truck 350 i think. I blew into the purge side of the and it had the same free flow like my 80 does.
If someone with a 93/94 would test their canister and let me know how hard it is to blow into the tank and purge pipe, they will get a gold star sticker from me :D
kurt

(cough,,,,,cough,, gag )

Don't ever ask me to do that again :flipoff2:

The "tank" side has some resistance and the canister makes a "buzzing" sound as pressure is applied. The "purge" side flows freely.

Dan.

Your canister needs to be replaced per manual. I have one for sale at smart shopper prices.

I don't think so Tim................ :flipoff2:

Dan, Thanks for your help with canister.
You said that you can blow freely in purge side, right?
I tested a newer junked chevy one and it did the same. The manual says air shouldn't flow from other ports when blowing into the purge side. Thinking that the manual was wrong I went to
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf
They say the same on page 11.
I am not trying to make this rocket science but I don't want to get a new/used canister and have it do the same thing as mine does.
kurt

Kurt,

I guess I'm a bit confused. Let's see if we are singing off of the same sheet of music:

Where does the raw fuel odor originate from? Is it from the engine compartment or the fuel door area?

If the raw fuel odor is coming from under the hood, on the left-hand side of the vehicle, you probably have a charcoal canister issue. If the odor is coming from the fuel filler/door/gas cap area, your gas cap is most likely Tango Uniform and needs to be replaced.

Go forth and sniff again (sans Winston) and report back........... 8)

I have gas smell from the gas cap at tank(wow,I don't feel so good now). I was thinking it was from the plugged canister as it was making bubbling noises in the mountians. I will replace the gas cap but if the canister is 'out of order' I would want to fix that too. But if yours does the same as mine does when tested either we both have good or bad canisters along with the other canisters I tested at gunk yard.
I haven't had the bubbling noise but the smell from tank is there. I will replace cap and see what happens.

Do yourself a favor and get a 77310-35080 from a dealer(any dealer). DO NOT buy a Jicky-market cap..........please. ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom