I am looking to paint flat black my aluminum wheels, any suggestion how to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Try searching painted wheels, or painted my wheels!! it's been discussed a bunch.. lots have done it!! Duplicolor wheel paint has been a good product!!

post pics when you do the job!!

First thought is ... don't. :)

But if you have to have them black... I'd suggest powdercoating. Paint will last better in Or than places that see much road salt, but it still will not last well. Especially flat paint.

Mark...

I flat-black painted my wheels with a $4 can from Ace Hardware. Taped off the tires and stuffed newspaper in the wheels so I didn't get paint on the rotors. Applied four or five coats.

And it looks awesome. And, so far, it's held up to heat, mud, rain, wind, hard freezing and a powerwash. I'm much pleased. If they start to peel I'll fix with another coat and then clearcoat it.

my vote is for a quick scuff then duplicolor alloy wheel primer followed by duplicolor flat black and a couple coats of clear. tape off the tires like previously stated.

my taco alloys have held up great and the only places its coming off is around the lip of the rim but thats due to rock rash and can be fixed quick. did the 80 alloys the same way. graphite was my color.

D

do it :D

This is on my list of weekend projects. Think Im going to do gunmetal grey.

Sandblast and powdercoat is the best way to go. But if it's not convenient or in the budget, a rattle can spray can come out fairly well. Apply a chemical stripper. Scrape and or powerwash to remove the majority of clearcoat. Sand remaining clearcoat down to aluminum. Extra time spent removing all bits of clearcoat will make all the difference in the end result; prep is everything when it comes to paint. Mask your tires if you don't want paint on them. Apply self etching primer per can directions. Apply topcoat. There are some much better explanations on this board. Search.

What year model rims are you painting? My 3FE rims look soooo much cooler in black because of their design.

Oh and don't forget to paint the spare.

I used Airplane Stripper(could have been Aircraft Stripper), and hit them with a wire wheel. I did this about three times to clean the wheels to bare metal, front and back. Don't use the spray version of the stripper.

I then hit the wheels with some 100 grit sand paper, and then a good wipe with rubbing alcohol.

One prime coat, followed by a 300 grit sanding.

Then 4 coats of flat black wheel paint..Duplicolor I believe(couldn't find Rustoleum in flat black).

Then a few coats of clear, and called it good.

They went from this:
wheels.jpg

To this:
ChangingColors9-29-09018.jpg

i cleaned the rims with wire wheel, spray two layer of rustoleom grey primer, three layer of rustoleom flat black,turtle waxed it after dry n call it a day:D
DSC04046.jpg
DSC04050.jpg

What year model rims are you painting? My 3FE rims look soooo much cooler in black because of their design.

Oh and don't forget to paint the spare.

Is a 93 Cruiser on Falken tires LT 265 75 R16.
Thanks for remind me about spare tire, I completed forgot about them :bang:.
I don't know why Toyota hided the tire under cruiser, what happen if somebody have a flat tire :grinpimp: :hillbilly: :doh:.

:cheers:

Rim 93.jpg

Thank you guys :cheers:! I will do the tires how soon the sun is back in town and I will keep posted.
All ready know how they will look, Bromo95 posted his rims and are the same model like on my cruiser :hillbilly: . Looking good and cool :clap:! Plus, I got a idea from his pictures for another project :hillbilly::grinpimp: ,

Salut :cheers:

Just joined the Black Rim Club.....I actually like my stock rims now....Used a hammered black finish (Rustoleum) and started with a Rustoleum self etching primer. The rims look great now. Completely changed the look of my truck.
IMG_4591.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg
IMG_4597.jpg

Powdercoating is the way to go. I got all 5 of mine done for $300. Just finished painting the hubcaps, it all looks great in black.

I used rustoliem after I did a light sanding of the rims. Let dry overnight and hit the rim with flat black. Total cost $12.00. Looks just as good that with my buddies rig that powdercoated. When I need to, I hit a scratch with the flat back. Easy job, cheap and they will look great.

Mine were sprayed when I first bought my rig and the first time washed it the paint was coming off. I had all 5 powder coated black

Powdercoating aluminum (IMO) is a waist of money... The key to a good painted wheel is the prep. Make sure it is beyond clean, then clean it again. Start with an etching primer and the spray it with multiple light coats. It will hold up just fine until it finds a rock but then powdercoating wouldn't have lasted either! I have ran spray painted wheels on quite a few cars with great results.

Some pics to prove it:
8552B011.jpg

DSCN0078.jpg

DSCN0075.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

I have stated it a few times before. APPLIANCE EPOXY. Hands down the toughest off the shelf paint I have used on anything. With a good prep job it is second best to powder coating. It comes in just a few colors. The Black is a gloss, but dries to a semi-gloss. The silver looks like Stainless, The white is well...white, and almond I have never used. Rustoleum, Ace Hardware, and I think Krylon all have their versions of this, and it is usually about the same or $1 above the regular enamel paints. I have used it on bumpers, wheels, and my stinger. In addition a friend did the frame of his H*)P CJ with it a few years ago and it held up quite well.

Scuff, Krylon flat black spray paint,and keep what's left of the can for touch ups.:bounce2:
tractor6.jpg
Before and after.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom