Builds 1HZ-T HZJ78 All-Climate Expo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still busy with work, so i reluctantly put the car in jail again to get the elockers installed front and rear. It wasn't the sort of job i had done before, nor do i have a press, so into another workshop. A new one this time, comes recommended from a mate in the know, so hopefully no disasters this time.

I was going to install these other bits myself but it made sense to get them to also install at the same time new wheel bearings, swivel hubs, free wheel hubs, universal joints while the axles are out... So already breaking my new rule about not using workshops here unless i absolutely can't do it myself.

IMG_20160510_1837327.jpg

Well the locker install is coming along... SLOWLY. I had to source locally a few bushes, bearings , flanges and seals that i hadn't planned on and most of the shafts require machining, so glad i didn't do all the wheel bearings myself now.

Upon removal of the swivel hub, one side has a spacer bush on the spindle, and the other side doesn't. Does anyone know if there is an actual valid reason why that might be done? And neither had the bearing below it, had been replaced with a bush... man i feel like I adopted an abused ethiopian foster child and send him to live in Disneyland. Nearly everything that could be worn is worn. Really regretting i was not supplied the full wheel bearing kit with spacer bush and spindle bearing, got the bush here but can't find that bearing in country. Might just have to fill it with a custom bush. :(

Edit: managed to find the elusive needle roller bearing, so alls good.

IMG_20160523_1704042.jpg
IMG_20160523_1703561.jpg

Last edited:
These showed up today, will be going in as soon as i get her home! Beautiful bit of kit... Had them customized to not open past 90 degrees (to not touch awning) , three locks for added security (reduce chance of leveraging with crowbar in the middle long edge) and only small clear glass at top so we can avoid blackout tinting for security and now film stealthily through windows when required.
IMG_20160526_1308164.jpg

^^Like x2! Where did those come from? Very nice, good idea with the extras.

They sell them as an on the shelf product in a couple of aussie outfitter stores (search troopcarrier gullwing), but i did a deal with the maker in South Australia. Unfortunately the package of two windows is too big for post options, so they can only be couriered (41kg).

Yeah, I'm in Canada, so DHL is my friend. I suppose they are flat, not curved? They don't make one for a 60?
Perhaps you could send a link I can look at? Be very cool if I could get it to fit my
BJ74 maybe, too Thx, J

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm in Canada, so DHL is my friend. I suppose they are flat, not curved? They don't make one for a 60?
Perhaps you could send a link I can look at? Be very cool if I could get it to fit my
BJ74 maybe, too Thx, J

They are actually curved, they do them on a model by model basis.
IMG_20160526_1900293.jpg

Very slick! Nice addition for sure. Thx for the links. J

Hello Damienperu,

I can't thank you enough: i've been fantasizing about all-aluminium items just like these for ages. Cheers Big Ears!

well no closer to glory, more dodgyness on the repair sides of things. today as everything was getting put back together, found out that the rear diff gear and pinion had been changed out for one with a narrower pinon (same 4.3 gear at least), as the new oil seal and pinion flange didn't fit! After a bit of measuring and detective work I've determined the pinion shaft they put in is 13% thinner (surface area), so i'm not sure what to do... could be another long while off the road if i can't get a new set locally :(

i posted in the general section for some general advice on whether i should just stick with it or findf an original, i'm still on the fence tonight
Advice from diff experts?

Man. thats some serious work being put into that hzj. Im loving it

Slightly happy ending, found the flange and seal to suit, and mine is OEM, toyota changed to the thicker pinion three months prior to my model, but my axle may have already been assembled. just slightly sour as the toyota dealership wouldn't accept the parts they supplied incorrectly as they had a couple of marks on them, so cost me double. So much for building a relationship with your local parts guy, that dealer won't be receiving another cent from me, stupid F'kers, in terms of individuals spending on their own private vehicles I'm probably one of the highest billing individuals they have ever had on their books!

Well I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Finished sourcing all the parts, almost as difficult as doing the work, which I am not. Hope to have her back in my possession next week, although I have said that 3 times! Anyway she is going back together now. Everything was filled and machined.
IMG_20160602_1622436.jpg
IMG_20160602_1620526.jpg

Lockers fitted to both diffs
IMG_20160602_1622307.jpg

Found all the missing bearings
IMG_20160602_1621471.jpg

Basically did front and rear wheel bearings, swivel hubs, diff bearings, pinion bearings, uni joints and wheel studs.

IMG_20160602_1623310.jpg

So the axles are fully restored essentially. Just need to do the electrics for lockers once I get her home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom