Hydroboost install - Bleeding Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on my hydroboost install. The unit is installed, but I have not yet hooked up the hydro hoses. I mounted the brake master after bench bleeding it then bled the system using a power bleeder (Air pressure on top). I climbed in to test the pedal firmness and there was none. I only felt expected back pressure from the internal return springs. The pedal went down until hitting a stop.

What kind of pedal firmness should I expect to feel at this point? Should it be rock hard if properly bled?

Next question, the pedal went down a ways then bottomed against a hard stop. I am not sure if that is an internal stop on the HB unit or not. I didn't expect that since I used to be able to go nearly to the floor (if air in the lines, etc.) with the old system.

Thanks!

You should have a firm pedal with or without boost. Sounds like something is wrong with the master cylinder or it is not bleed.

I am working on my hydroboost install.

Next question, the pedal went down a ways then bottomed against a hard stop.
Thanks!

Did you buy a complete hydro boost system or piece it together?

I have five setups here with five different output push rod lengths, you’ll want to confirm you have the correct length for your setup and it’s still centered before you go for a test drive.

BoosterExploded_zpsca08a253.jpg

My bad. Turns out it was lots of air still in the system. After lots and lots of manual bleeding I still have a little bit of air. I chose to continue and got everything hooked up. Took it on a test drive and was able to lock up the tires on pavement for the first time ever.

I am going to bleed the master again. If that doesn't do it I will take it to a shop to bleed it. That will be a first time ever.

I did have a too long push rod. About an eighth of an inch. I made a shim for the master. No big deal.
Did you buy a complete hydro boost system or piece it together?

I have five setups here with five different output push rod lengths, you’ll want to confirm you have the correct length for your setup and it’s still centered before you go for a test drive.

BoosterExploded_zpsca08a253.jpg

I am 98% (roughly) sure all the air is out. When looking at the new Wilwood rear calipers I noticed the brake pads did not sit flush to the rotor like the old calipers did. They were tilted slightly. I read that this will cause an "air in the system" feeling. The angle was very slight so I think they will bed the pads in and limit this feeling. I hope so anyway. I didn't notice the feeling when braking on my test drive.

Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom