Hydro bump stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey has anyone fitted hydro bump stops to there 80? Iv been thinking about putting some in my 80 however haven't found any leads of how others have fitted them up. Would love to see some photos if you have installed some,

Cheers

Any others?

@Apounder welded some in front in the stock location.

I've been looking at it for my new 80-series chassis project.

The front looks pretty straight forward. The front upper coil 'cone' that holds the factory bump-stop cup could be modified or replaced to house a typical 2" diameter air/hydro bumpstop unit. You would likely need a hole in the middle of the upper spring bucket for clearance and access to the gas valve.

The rear suspension looks like it may present more issues. I believe the mount would have to be frenched into the frame to replace the hard outer bump-stop ( and then remove the factory inner overload type unit ). I don't believe there is enough space to mount a conventional unit inside the coil without having to modify the floor. There may be a way to squeak on in there depending on lift height and how far you need the rear suspension to compress. Light Racing has/had a unit that was much more compact in height that may work

I know that few 80 owners are running the nitrogen filled jounce stops, by different vendors. Is that what the OP is asking about?

Theres jounce and then theres air bumps and theyre very similar in how they function but jounced are externally tuneable and much smaller and much more $$$

Most of the bumpstops, from the big names, break down into two categories. Most units are basically a nitrogen emulsion shock. They use an oil and nitrogen mix. Pressure is adjustable, oil volume, and valving are basically adjustable. There are a few examples that have some externally adjusted valving, but all the examples I have seen are still an emulsion based shock. Both Fox and King now have a IFP version. This allows the separation of the oil from the gas charge. This makes them slightly more consistent and allows slightly finer tuning of a few things. Price goes up accordingly.

My thoughts were the short Kings in the top of the coil towers. I have seen it done on heeps.

King-Shocks-4.jpg

For what it's worth + 1 on theTimbrens. I have never run hydro bump stops so I can't compare but what a difference the timbrens made on my front end. Nice and smooth no banging ect.... when bottomin out.

Found the pic of @Apounder s
I have no idea what brand they are, but it looks to be a clean install.
image (7).jpeg

image (8).jpeg

Last edited:
Those who fitted the Timbrens, did you fit the standard compound or the softer compound developed for the 100 series.....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom