How to yank someone off... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
I know traction, angle, environment etc.... will all play a factor in this question, but here we go....

If I pull someone out of a ditch, for example, what is the ideal settings on my truck.

1. Low obviously

2. CDL

3. Any point in locking differentials?? Obviously if you are losing traction, it may help.

But ideally, I would think, gearing down and locking the CDL would be a good place to start.---but I don't know.

I just wanna be ready the next time these guys are crying for help....

Sent from DynaTAC bag phone

image-2516240568.jpg

image-1887560756.jpg

image-3144387006.jpg

image-1092711666.jpg

Last edited:
I know traction, angle, environment etc.... will all playa factor in this question, but here we go....

If I pull someone out of a ditch, for example, what is the ideal settings on my truck.

1. Low obviously

2. CDL

3. Any point in locking differentials?? Obviously if you are losing traction, it may help.

But ideally, I would think, gearing down and looking the CDL would be a good pale to start.---but I don't know.

I just wanna be ready the next time these guys are crying for help....

Winch out is safer and more controlled and the truck need quite a few 4x4s to pull him backup

first and most important
make sure the vehicle driver of the stuck vehicle understands you assume NO responsibility for damage. make sure he/she agrees verbaly and better if you have a co-pilot to confirm the agreement. best is to have a prepared agreement for them to sign.
sounds overboard but in the last decade or so i have heard nightmare stories of dickweeds suing for new tranny, body damage, personal injury (whiplash), cover your ass.

as for winch vrs tug, depends on the situation. a gentle tug is more practical but if you need to tug hard or if you suspect you will need to then use the winch.

diff locks, NEVER pull in reverse with the front diff locked. great way to bust a birf.
i would use diff lock since it allows for a more controlled rescue.

GENTLE, never go nuts on a retrieval. you end up looking like a fool and could cause injury.

first and most important
make sure the vehicle driver of the stuck vehicle understands you assume NO responsibility for damage. make sure he/she agrees verbaly and better if you have a co-pilot to confirm the agreement. best is to have a prepared agreement for them to sign.
sounds overboard but in the last decade or so i have heard nightmare stories of dickweeds suing for new tranny, body damage, personal injury (whiplash), cover your ass.

as for winch vrs tug, depends on the situation. a gentle tug is more practical but if you need to tug hard or if you suspect you will need to then use the winch.

diff locks, NEVER pull in reverse with the front diff locked. great way to bust a birf.
i would use diff lock since it allows for a more controlled rescue.

GENTLE, never go nuts on a retrieval. you end up looking like a fool and could cause injury.

Yup I agree.

Go easy on rescues know what your doing before you do anything.

Its not something a novice should be doing.

with your phone make a short clip with both parts agree of all terms of recovery .. and include the vehicle to be recovered ..

Thanks for the advice....but with the thread title, I thought I would at least get one good humorous reply.

diff locks, NEVER pull in reverse with the front diff locked. great way to bust a birf .

Never pull in reverse period!! There's no more of a chance to break a birf in reverse as forward, there is however a much better chance to break the R&P... The way the gears are cut make them much weaker in reverse...

But when winching, it really doesn't matter, as you're tires will all be locked up by the brakes...

When tugging, tug forward, I usually start with the rear only locked, only use the front when needed...

And never "yank" with a chain, use a strap, the best is a stretchable strap (search bubba rope)...

This reminds me of a story a club member told me years ago. He got stuck with his Disco in a long stretch of mud. He was with another guy who had a 350 Chev in his old Jeep. At first, the other guy decided to tug him out in reverse. Big mistake. He ended up busting his R&P. Next, he goes and gets a backhoe as they weren't more than one or two kms from his place. He hooks up a chain to the backhoe, and tries pulling out the Disco, but this time the chain breaks and falls just short of the Disco. The driver was in the Disco at the time and saw the chain break and thought it was coming through the windshield for sure. They ended up getting the Disco out by gently pulling on the Disco using the rear shovel of the backhoe with chain.

I was stuck good this fall, and we tried our Bubba rope trying to pull me forward, but I didn't even budge. We then tried winching from the rear, and it was not a problem.

I almost went back to my house to get my truck to pull out a women who drove into the ditch one winter a few years back. It was February and -29 C out. After assessing the situation, I decided against doing anything as I was sure I would rip off her front bumper due to the angle and location of the tow hook. I'm glad I decided to let the pros handle it.

when i go to pull a stranger out of the ditch i make sure that i have someone with me to confirm i told the stranger that i would not be held responsible for any damage resulting from the pull.
if no copilot then a written note stating the above signed by the stranger. might not stand up in court but shows intent.
in 35 years of rescuing people from the ditch i have never done any damage. if the stuck is too bad i offer to take them to the nearest phone (not really applicable in todays world).

bubba rope, the ONLY way to tug. someone offers a chain, i walk away.

I caught your humor while seeing your att. pics. and reading your thread title. I'm just not clever enough for a whimsical retort.

I am one of the good samaritans who was threatened by someone I yanked out of a ditch. And because of that one jerk, I'll never do it again. I will stop, offer to let them use my mobile, stay warm in my truck, dig, push, whatever - but I am not hooking up.

If it is a good friend or family member: strap on the high point of both vehicles. By high point, I mean - if the vehicle is in the ditch down on the pass side, hook up to the driver's side. Try to pull them out, not dig them in further. Setting and following instructions, clear communications and signals are essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom