How to remove caked on grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

acjb

GOLD Star
Threads
Just looking for some ideas on how to remove the caked on 30 year old grease on my tansfercase and transmission. I have not done much more than scrape the lumps off. I have sprayed with brake cleaner and other cleaners but that stuff is really on there. Any ideas on how to break it down or soften it would be appreciateed.

not for aluminum

not for aluminum, but for steel/iron, oven cleaner works great. Hit the local dollar store, pick up a case and go to town on the transmisison and engine, axles, frame, etc. Just keep it off the transfer case.

drag it to the car wash they have pretty good pressure on the rinse cycle or barrow a pressure washer and get some cans of foam engine degresserand soak it with that for a few minutes before you pressure wash it

drag it to the car wash they have pretty good pressure on the rinse cycle or barrow a pressure washer and get some cans of foam engine degresserand soak it with that for a few minutes before you pressure wash it

X2
The car wash here even lets me bring my little ramps that I can drive up so I can have some more clearance underneath.....

I had to use a piece of wood or a plastic puddy knife to getthe goo off mine. the car wash wouldnt even touch the stuff. then a wire brush after (not on a drill) then I could do the car wash thing.....

Kyle,

I think I am in your boat...that stuff is on there and I even struggled with the puddy knife. I will keep pecking away and then off to the car wash.

Thanks

Formula 409 & a wire brush, bristles need to be stout so you don't bend them but its worked well for me.

Best to go in stages...
1st powerwash to knock loose stuff off.
2nd take an old screwdriver/putty knife/wire brushes and pry/scrape the gunk off.
3rd soak with gnarly degreaser of choice
4th blast with power washer again
5th repeat above 2-5 until you get it all (becuase there is no way you got it all the 1st time!)

1. Get a cheap tank-type sprayer
2. Fill with Kerosene(or Diesel)
3. Spray liberally and let soak, spray, soak, etc, etc
4. Try carwash or rent/borrow a Hotsey...heated pressure washer.

OR.....in place of the carwash/Hotsey....a wire brush...cup brush on a cordless drill or angle grinder + SS wire tooth brush:hillbilly:;)

GL

Ed

1. Get a cheap tank-type sprayer
2. Fill with Kerosene(or Diesel)
3. Spray liberally and let soak, spray, soak, etc, etc
4. Try carwash or rent/borrow a Hotsey...heated pressure washer.

OR.....in place of the carwash/Hotsey....a wire brush...cup brush on a cordless drill or angle grinder + SS wire tooth brush:hillbilly:;)

GL

Ed

.2 could also be 100% mineral spirits. I soaked all of my axle parts in 5 gal buckets, and they came out like new. But it has to be 100% mineral spirits.

proof

here are before and after shots of a 1956 buick nailhead motor. Used about 8 cans of oven cleaner from the dollar store.
1 engine before degrease.jpg
2 degreased.jpg

If you are rebuilding the part then disassemble, scrap off as much of the grease/crud as possible, and throw it in the oven. Bake at 600 degrees for an hour, remove, let cool, and bead blast the remaining ash off.

Powder coat extreme chrome with red highlights....

Like this one...:grinpimp::grinpimp:
IMG_0688.jpg

My favorite crud removal tool. ACE Hardware carries these. It will get almost any crack/crevice.

Wish I had an oven. :hmm:

pACE-961279reg.jpg

Harbor Freight sells a sprayer that you attach to your compressor. I fill a bucket up with hot water and use this high pressure sprayer with a degreaser. It works very good. Although I usually hit it with a paint scraper first.

makomark,

got a part number on this sprayer? I have a big compressor and this just might help out. Thanks for all the replies.

home depo carrys a cleaner degreaser zep purple degreaser . dont dilute put in spray bottle, just spray scrub rinse ,repeat

Just looking for some ideas on how to remove the caked on 30 year old grease on my tansfercase and transmission. I have not done much more than s****e...

Pressure washer, :D Just picked up an electric one from Costco, less than $200, about 1500-1700psi and it works great. :)

Side note, the word S C R A P E is a bad word in the forum...WOW!!, or it's just profiling the R A P E part??

41y5k%2BOTwqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited:
If you are rebuilding the part then disassemble, scrap off as much of the grease/crud as possible, and throw it in the oven. Bake at 600 degrees for an hour, remove, let cool, and bead blast the remaining ash off.

Powder coat extreme chrome with red highlights....

Like this one...:grinpimp::grinpimp:

Holy pimped out transfers batman! WOW Thats too nice looking to hide under the truck, got some plexiglass floor boards and mirrors for the parking lot!!!

Nice work there cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom