How to: Removal of 94-97 steering wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I juts did this... very easy... I did not find another thread on here for it, so here goes:

Here is my outline on how I did it...

DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST

Remove side access panels on each side of the back of the wheel (just pop out)... it's the trim panel around the cruise control if not familiar, one just like it on the L-side too.

Torx bolts you will see, one on each side...they hold the airbag module in place. Size torx bit I used is: T30

those torx bolts have a retaining clip, so they will not come totally out (so ya don't loose them).

Once the torx bolts are out (loosened all the way), the airbag module pops out (it has a couple tabs on the back that seem to snap in juts like a door panel would...make sense? Then disconnect the wires... pretty straight forward here...

I did see that some one said it has to be removed (i.e. unplugged) w/in 90 seconds?? but there was not an explanation...maybe I missed a more specific reason somewhere... anywho, it unplugs easy. Take the airbag & put somewhere safe for the time being, i.e. like on the back seat.

Then unplug the big white plug (for cruise controls) from the clock spring area... again, very obvious once you see it.

Then Remove the big Nut in there (that holds the hub on) 19 mm is what I used...

Mark your old wheel hub w/ a paint pen & a equal spot on the clock spring somehwere, so you can keep it line up if you are putting it back on... if putting on a new steering wheel, like I did... I mearly made it parallel with the black plug connection on the clock spring... very easy to do since there are splines on the column & in the hub of the steering wheel... again, once you see it, it should make sense.

After all that is done, smack the back side of the wheel on each side with your fists (towards you), and it should pop off very easy

and just doe it all in reverse to install.... took all of about 10 minutes maybe...

If you think i'm missing something, add it up...

see your torque specs for the hub nut... I believe it is atleast 33 nm I read somewhere... I just made mine nice & tight, as I'm sure I tightened it a lil' more than that...

Hope this helps, use as an outline, I am not a toyota tech, so if ya fawk something up, that's on you!... I felt it was a one banana gig @ most

Got some photos?

I replaced the steering wheel in my 96' FZJ80 this evening, actually my 9 year old son did most of the work under my guidance, minus pulling or actually reinstalling the airbag (just in case it went off), but trust me that's the easiest part of this extremely easy task. I took detailed pictures of the entire project, but for some reason, most of them did NOT transfer from my camera to my computer and I reformatted my card before knowing that!!

A few extra details...removing the cowel around the steering column is a bit tricky...remove the five phillips head screws from the bottom, the two furthest from the dash (closest to the steering wheel itself) are sheet screws that tap in the top part of the two-piece cowel...the back three closest to the dash are machine screws...not hard to figure out once it's apart. The torx screws are tricky to find if you don't know where they are, and luckily that's one of the images that stayed and I am posting (I highlighted the torx screw and for reference, this image is upside down, I turn the wheel over when removing these so it is facing out the driver door and easier to see)...one on each side (right side with the cruise control) and the left side behind the plastic cover...don't be afraid of these, just push the one on the left side into the housing and then pull it back out...the one on the right...just get your finger in there and pull it out.

This is quick and easy and Shane can get you a fantastic...BETTER THAN NEW leather-wrapped steering wheel!! Easy to do, and the original poster is correct...10 minutes, a few minutes more if your 9 year old is doing the work!!
DSC_0012 highlite.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a new factory wheel for my 96 JDM. The old wheel is a Nardi wood. Japanese commonly put on. Getting around to installing it now. Noticed I'm missing the torx bolts. Anyone know the spec?? And another weird thing is the cruise control comes with the new wheel while I still have it on the old stock. So I'm guessing i'll have to remove one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom