1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to put gear oil in fairey overdrive?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Trev, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Trev

Trev

Here I am again bothering you all about my fairey. I can't figure out how to get gear oil into it. It's the version on the split transfer case. The filler plug is located directly behind a gear that is spaced only 1/8" behind the filler hole. Not enough room to get a hose or nozzle in there. I'm thinking about getting some fittings to screw a filler hose into the plug hole. Problem with that though, I couldn't tell when it was full. There is probably something obvious I haven't considered. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. PHAT MAX

PHAT MAX

you would be able to tell when its full....use a clear hose and you will see oil staying in the hose. you will prolly have some spillage when you remove it but oh well.

hth

3. Trev

Trev

I got it filled. I used a clear 5/8" hose with a flared plastic fitting that fit tight and sealed in the filler hole. The gear oil is too thick to run back down the hose in a timely fashion, so I had to pull it out every few pumps to see if it was full yet. I'm still wondering if there might be another location where I could pump the oil into the case.