How to mount 38s on an Fj40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I need to know if there is a durable solution to mount 38" tyres on a SWB FJ40 1982.
Need to make an ATV FJ40,drivable on road and offroad.Vehicle will be lifted 4 inches.
Anybody running with this size?
1- Will wider tubes help?
2 - How much backspacing and offset I need on rims?
3 - What will be the thickness of spacers ?

Really appreciate the help and input.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/soa-40s-on-37-tires-pics.603660/

Try this for some ideas. Pretty sure you will at least need to move your rear axle farther back

Thanks, viewed the whole thread , followed mr jits "Oliver" built but in the end he sold it and broke a steering part and fan (maybe with a huge V8 there was very less room in engine bay) ,should have driven it and given some performance feedback.That would be much more helpful for a newbie like me.

Oliver1_zps43424d10-S.jpg

I'm opting for this width but with full hard top, lots of stuff to carry.On uneven surface these longer springs are prone to hit the red rod.

I saw one with FJ61 axles ,I'll try going with a full 60 setup first.
I have 80 diff/tubes ,60 diff/tubes, a 60 steering assembly,gear/ transfer case,a 60 axle.I'll buy a 60 suspension and try it with first.
If the vehicle is wider enough to give me a little body clearance then I'll put some adaptor/spacers and try lifting it with 60's suspension.
BTW you have a nice 40 :)
cheers!

Simple, SOA with 60 series springs on the front to move axle forward 2", and rear to move the rear axle back 2"
This has a simple shackle reversal, and longer rear shackles. I would not go this route again.
The truck is being restored, and will go back to original shackles.
15x10 Eagle alloys 3.5" BS with 38x14.5" TSL/SX

IM002111.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom