How to make block ice. Need a container that won't split. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I had found the perfect container at walmart to fill and make blocks of ice for camping. It was slightly tapered so the ice would fall out. It was just a simple (but thin) holder. Alas, it burst and now I have frozen water in my freezer. I need to make 1 quart'ish. blocks of ice. The last so much longer then cubes of ice. Literally 3 days or more in a decent igloo compared to half that for cubes. I need a tapered but somewhat thick plastic container to fill with water that wont split when it freezes. Any suggestions?

We have used gallon milk jugs for ever. You can buy half gallon and possibly quarts as well. We put jug and all in the cooler and you have bonus cold water to drink if you start with a clean jug.
We fill them ~85% full and put the cap on loose while it sets.

We have used gallon milk jugs for ever. You can buy half gallon and possibly quarts as well. We put jug and all in the cooler and you have bonus cold water to drink if you start with a clean jug.

Same here. I don't put the caps on until we go to use them.

I have been using the gallon (4 litre) milk containers for years.
I fill them, then squeeze out a cup or so and screw the cap on.
Yes, the bonus is you get cold water to drink as it melts. It will actually make it last longer if you take the water out as it develops.

In the Midwest, we get Blue Bunny ice cream in a container that is oval in shape and tapers up from a narrower low end. Snap lid covers it. It's the quart size, so just right for what you need. Haven't tried it, but the taper is enough the ice should slide right out. Given the open top is wide without it, probably best to snap the lid back in place after filling, freeze, then pop it open to get the ice out. The plastic is thick and rugged enough it shouldn't split.

Same method at my house except we use juice jugs. I fill to about 80% capacity cap it the stick it in the freezer. We keep a lot of them on hand for two reasons, first they fill the empty space in our big freezer which makes it more efficient, and helps if there is a power outage. second they are a supply of emergency drinking water.

Yep, half gallon milk jug has been the best for us. There is something about the insulation factor that makes the last longer. Don't fill them full leave cap loose to let air out. I line like 4 on bottom to make in flat & add the Cubs as needed.

Cardboard milk containers. I have an Aunt who informed me that the longer the ice stays in the freezer,
the harder is gets over time, staying frozen a bit longer.

we used to keep 4 of them full in the freezer at ALL TIMES...keeps the food frozen if the power goes out. I'm surprised the act hasn't been outlawed yet...

I've recently been using a 5litre spring water goon bag ( mylar bladder from boxed water)
I fill it so it fits in a tray that sits in the top of my ice box with a little room to expand. Pop it in the freezer a week before its needed. It keeps melt water sealed and use able for drinking. It can be frozen to what ever shape you want, and cost nothing.

I wanted something sealed that I could have at the TOP of my ice box. As cold air sinks, and heat rises, having ice at the top makes best use of convection currents to keep food fresh longest, but I didn't want melted water through my fresh food. So far, it's a winner.

I thought I had found the perfect container at walmart to fill and make blocks of ice for camping. It was slightly tapered so the ice would fall out. It was just a simple (but thin) holder. Alas, it burst and now I have frozen water in my freezer. I need to make 1 quart'ish. blocks of ice. The last so much longer then cubes of ice. Literally 3 days or more in a decent igloo compared to half that for cubes. I need a tapered but somewhat thick plastic container to fill with water that wont split when it freezes. Any suggestions?

Milk cartons. Do they still put milk in cartons?

I use apple juice plastic bottles. There are a couple of companies that put them out in much stronger containers than the others. Fill them at 80%, freeze them horizontally, and turn them 180 half way through. Stacks beautifully and drinking water with no sogginess.

Same with me, some type of juice bottles. About half gallon size. Start putting them in your cooler a couple days before you use it then put new ones in when you go...

The 60 oz juice jugs that are "squareish" work best for us.
The flat sides pack well.

Can't remember where I heard this, but genius! Empty Starbucks bulk premade coffee bladders. The kind that reside in those cardboard dispensing boxes for when you bring party coffee to the office.

I am going to try ice free on my next outing. I picked up a tip from a friend that you can get bulk gel ice packs on Amazon for the price of a few bags of convenience store ice. I got 48 packs that measure 4" x 6" and filled my little beer fridge freezer shelf with them. Total cost for 48 packs was $13. The gel stuff outlasts regular ice and doesn't melt into the contents of your cooler, no soggy cheese or cold cuts.

They have just about any size you can think of too.
61X-p9gIjkL._SL1353_.jpg

I've tried the exact type pictured many many times. The epoxies and such I use in my work come packed in them, which makes them free to me. They always seem to leak when I use them, talk about a slimy mess.

makes perfect sense to me to have ice that you can drink later on...
Heck, freeze some coffee even. Or frappuccino if you're a cool fashion icon... :cool:
Or better: Daiquiri! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom