How to fix squeaking steering wheel? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just noticed that my steering wheel squeaks when I turn it. This is particularly noticeable when I am stationary or moving at allow speed when parking the car. The sound seems to come from the inside the vehicle.

Any ideas on what might be the issue and the fix?

Thanks.

Mine does this as well, I think there is probably a rubber grommet where the steering shaft passes through the firewall causing the squeak. Seen this on other Toyotas but haven't dug into it on a 100 yet. Usually you can just lube this seal a bit and the noise goes away. I was looking at my LX the other day and the steering shaft had various covers over it at the firewall so I didn't mess with it yet. Probably relatively easy though. Or I could be completely wrong about the cause but that's exactly what it sounds like to me based on previous experience.

Mine was squeaking just behind the wheel - not down the column or near the firewall. I think it was friction in the turn signal mechanism. I removed the plastic covers on the steering wheel and sprayed silicone lubricant. No more squeak. This was at least 18 months ago, no more problems.

Y squeal may have been different, but I used an air compressor and sprayed air where the steering meets the plastic piece that surrounds the column. The noise went away. I noticed it after a trip to the dunes.

I've been trying to follow or the threads on the topic on this, but I continue to be baffled as to how to address the issues. Does anyone have any pictures and/or step-by-step DIY on how to get to the offending parts and then lube them?

My trouble is that I don't have a clue as to what some of these things look like (e.g., this "clock spring" how would I know that I'm looking at it?)

...now that I've noticed the sound it's really driving me nuts every time I maneuver around in parking lots and other areas with lots of turns!

I've been trying to follow or the threads on the topic on this, but I continue to be baffled as to how to address the issues. Does anyone have any pictures and/or step-by-step DIY on how to get to the offending parts and then lube them?

My trouble is that I don't have a clue as to what some of these things look like (e.g., this "clock spring" how would I know that I'm looking at it?)

...now that I've noticed the sound it's really driving me nuts every time I maneuver around in parking lots and other areas with lots of turns!
Where exactly is your sound coming from?

Where exactly is your sound coming from?

The best that I can tell the sound is coming from around/within the black rubber shield/grommet that covers the steering shaft as it passes through the firewall.

I wasn't clear it I should try to take it a part, and if so what it would involve...

Once the rattle behind the dash on the passenger side starts you completely forget about the steering wheel squeak.:lol:

Or you could install the third row seats in the up position, that adds a whole other range of background squeaks and rattles.

Once the rattle behind the dash on the passenger side starts you completely forget about the steering wheel squeak.:lol:

Or you could install the third row seats in the up position, that adds a whole other range of background squeaks and rattles.

Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean! but I'm trying my best to hunt down all the ones I can identify and then make them go away.

I was just thinking about how this squeaking started out of the blue, and I realized that I had just (for the 1st time) cleaned the engine bay with some degreaser--one of those coin-up spray on, spray off deals. It made me wonder if the degreaser had washed away some grease that was previously keeping this sqeuaking at bay. Is there any chance that there would be parts that might have been inadvertantly degreased from this cleaning of the engine bay (I'm having a hard time imagining how it could have made it's way up the steering column and to the related parts...)

I was just thinking about how this squeaking started out of the blue, and I realized that I had just (for the 1st time) cleaned the engine bay with some degreaser--one of those coin-up spray on, spray off deals. It made me wonder if the degreaser had washed away some grease that was previously keeping this sqeuaking at bay. Is there any chance that there would be parts that might have been inadvertantly degreased from this cleaning of the engine bay (I'm having a hard time imagining how it could have made it's way up the steering column and to the related parts...)

Re-read post #3. That would explain the situation and mesh in with what you have reported.

Re-read post #3. That would explain the situation and mesh in with what you have reported.

Good point. Thanks. Will look into that... I'm hoping that this visible/accessible from the engine bay/under the truck...

Once again, MUD throws another strike straight down the middle!

So per advice above, I took a quick peek at lunch time under the hood. I could see where the rubber grommet for the steering column was from the engine bay. I couldn't quite reach it to mess with it (engine was hot, and didn't want to stick my bare hands there to be burnt), but I took out a can of WD40 and gave it a couple of superficial squirts right where the grommet meets the steering column.

And... all squeaking instantly and completely gone!

I will have to keep an eye on this to see if it comes back, in which case I'll look to try and apply some more substantial lube to the spot.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom