How to clean your throttle body (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=RavenTai link=board=2;threadid=15114;start=msg144493#msg144493 date=1082785894]
Is it worth wile to remove the 2 intake manifolds to clean them? That looks like it may be a lot of work but may make it more open for the other tasks, was considering cleaning the accessible portions of the intake chamber in the head, do I need any other parts besides TB and intake gaskets?
[/quote]

If the only reason you're doing this is to clean carbon out of the intakes, then I'd skip it and run thru some 3M decarbonizer stuff (part no. 08957). I did this at about 100K and now have over 108K on my truck, and when I pulled the TB and runner, the only thing I could see in the intake was a light coating of some tan looking varnish. Nothing like the carbon in the pic above. Toss in a can of BK, clean the TB, and you should be running smooth as a baby's hind quarters so long as there's nothing else going on.

thanks :) I'll skip that part then, just do the TB and EGR tasks, the intakes look like a lot of work anyway

The hard part of removing the intake chamber is getting all the vacuum hoses back on the right ports. Other than that it is not very hard.
You dont need to remove the intake manifold, just the intake chamber.

After reading this thread, i thought i'd give it a go myself, the 'quick' way. Turns out as a manipulated the air hose, it was cracked around the first set of bends--almost 3/4 of the way broken. The slight curve kept the hose together, and i didn't notice. Another $89 replacement part! arg.

FINALLY got around to doing this, my new TB gasket's been on the bench for almost 4 months.. :eek: I'm goint to thoroughly clean the TB itself, should I also squirt the TB cleaner into the intake manifold? Here's a pic of how dirty it is... I'd rather not take the manifolds off... and it's no lie, the most buildup is on the back side of the butterfly valve.
intake_dirty.gif

That's one nasty looking TB...yuch! :mad:

I wouldn't waste the cleaner on the intake...you'd have to spray gallons of the stuff in there to clean it effectively, and I don't think you want to do that. Besides, I've never been convinced that it makes much difference.

I'd pay more attention to the EGR ports and IAC ports/valve given the looks of the TB :rolleyes:

What is the maintenance schedule on cleaning the intake chamber?
I did mine about 30,000+ miles ago.

I did mine about 30,000+ miles ago.
How many miles was that, did it look like mine does? this is at 125k.

That's one nasty looking TB...yuch!
That's actually looking into the intake. Here's one of the throttle body...
nak_tb.gif

In all it was a pretty fun job, removed just enough parts to make it look like I was actually doing something under the hood, yet not so many as to worry about getting them all back on correctly. Definitely the furthest I've gone into an engine before, worth saying again that I could not have done it without the support of the talent on ih8mud. :cheers: :cheers:

The first start-up after getting it all back together died almost immediately, as did the second. I sort of expected that would happen though. Third time started fine, but I realized I forgot to plug in the MAF wire to the large flex hose, so I had a check engine light and promptly yanked the EFI fuse, didn't even bother pulling the code. Popped the fuse back in and the light hasn't come back on since, even after the victory trip to the store to pick up the proverbial #6. :beer: It does seem to idle smoother, I dunno, maybe that's the placebo talkin'... :rolleyes:
nak_garage.gif

Nice shop picture. I like the mud sticker and the Mobil 1 bottles up high where the kids can't get at 'em...

DougM

Your wife lets you keep your tool box in the den?

-B-

Having web access in the garage is sweet.. the wireless connection works great out there, and having the "how to" up on the screen can be pretty darn helpful. Drove 80 miles yesterday, still no CEL, gotta love these trucks what a forgiving beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom