How stupid would this look on a 60/62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking ahead to when I finally tackle the rust and PO's body damage on my 62, hopefully sometime soon. I've considered a few different paint ideas, including: 1) reshoot stock Toyota gold, 2) shoot it in a tan color, 3) change to a two-tone with some shade of tan and black/charcoal, or 4) go a litle more radical. I've had the thought of doing some kind of newer-style camo job on it a few times, most recently last night when I saw the show where West Coast Customs builds a Tundra Crewmax for a desert race-chase vehicle. So the question is: will it look stupid on a 60 series cruiser?? :hmm:
Last time I brought it up to my wife, she said yes :crybaby:
Here's a few examples I've seen through the last few years:
1) F-150 in a magazine from the SEMA show a few years ago. Can't remember who built it. It's a flat black/grey scheme.
2) Under Armor's "Wounded Warrior Project" Dodge truck that passed me on the way home from work a few months ago.
3) WCC's Tundra that I mentioned before

I also liked the Mexican Army's Chevy pickups I saw in Juarez, with a similar paint scheme to the Under Armor truck. Maybe I can find a pic by someone on the web?
What do you think? Especially with a roof rack. Any different color schemes that might work?? Thanks!
Matt
photo9.JPG
photo10.jpg
photo11.jpg

I did find a Mexican Army truck pic like I mentioned before. Didn't want to pull out my cell to take a pic while in Juarez; their lives are under constant threat if they're identified by the Narcos. I'd rather not take the risk of making them nervous :rolleyes:
wcc-ox-tundra-05.jpg
wcc-ox-tundra-06.jpg
2ikv6s7.jpg

Friend of mine did a WWII battleship camo job on a particularly large car of his. Looked pretty cool! Very similar to the Wounded Warrior GM, but in the colors of that F-150. It's only paint, can always change it later if you tire of it or something.

Not too big on the Tundras GUCCIflage but something similar would be cool. Then again I am a sucker for camo :grinpimp:

There ya go, something to help visualize! Is there something painted on the driver's rear quarter??

That Wonded Warrior truck is a Chevy. I like that paint job though. May not look as good on a 60 because it has sharper angles than that Chevy does.

How about the job that Bilko posted but with flat black and grey?

Metal mulisha 60 FTW. I gotta say I hate the straight lines on the UA Tundra. I think it'll look good. I've seen pics of military 60's from sand country's. If you wait long enough the pic hoarders will show up and you'll see.

hows about thinking of what your more or less geographic profile would look like? e.g. desert vs forrest vs swamp ect. that mexican army truck was mighty good for its specific terrain. but no matter i say go camo for sure. good luck

I forgot to add, I like the idea but you should check out this one
HFS Rear Bumpers | Hardline Fabrication Systems

hes on mud I just forget what his call sign is, dude has a sweet old school paint job, er ment to look old kinda rat rod ish

That Wonded Warrior truck is a Chevy. I like that paint job though. May not look as good on a 60 because it has sharper angles than that Chevy does.

How about the job that Bilko posted but with flat black and grey?

Sorry, you're right. I haven't looked at that pic in a while and just pulled it from the hard drive.

I like the design of the UA truck, but maybe with the grey/black coloring.

hows about thinking of what your more or less geographic profile would look like? e.g. desert vs forrest vs swamp ect. that mexican army truck was mighty good for its specific terrain. but no matter i say go camo for sure. good luck

I'm not really trying to go for the full "disappearing into nature" camo job. I do love camo trucks, and I'm trying to pick an easy way to paint my truck in not the greatest conditions. Other limiting factor is that I'd eventually like to drive the cruiser into Mexico and maybe Central America, so I don't want it to look too much like a military vehicle. That's mainly why I liked the alternate (Gucci-ish) color schemes. So I'm trying to bridge the gap between OD green/desert tan and going full Gucci :). Currently the truck is stock gold with gold rustoleum lawn furniture paint in spots where I did some body work. That's officialy where the thought started...until I decided camo with different shades of gold and tan would look really bad.

Any more pics of the truck on the HFS site??

Thanks guys! Keep the pictures coming!

Yup thats a Metal Mulisha skull in the camo. The other side has ZZ Tops mez head. The forest camo is on my brothers rig and the desert one is mine but the PO did it. I like it enough that I haven't changed it except for touch ups. I'm digging the camo patterns on those Tacos that were posted up, looks really good with the shell. My brothers rig was painted with a cheap Home Depot Sprayer hooked to the compressor and mine is rattle canned. His paint is holding up really well, not much fading to speak of. I think we shot his like 5 years ago. The spray paint on my rig doesn't look bad until you touch it up then you can really see how faded it is, I suppose eventually I will re-shoot the whole thing. I have a couple more pictures of mine I will upload tomorrow. Happy Painting.
MIXED PICS 059.jpg

My brothers rig was painted with a cheap Home Depot Sprayer hooked to the compressor and mine is rattle canned. His paint is holding up really well, not much fading to speak of. I think we shot his like 5 years ago. The spray paint on my rig doesn't look bad until you touch it up then you can really see how faded it is,

To what do you attribute his longevity to? Better paint or the sprayer? Do you know which paint he used? The more I look at it, it almost looks like your brother's truck is satin paint? I was thinking of renting a sprayer from HD when I do it also. I liked the shots of your truck too, definitely post some more!

Last edited:
Played with the Taco Crewcab pic with Photoshop online (since I'm 1500 miles from home) and I think I like the black/grey coloring with the wider striping that he used. Looks nice on a taco at least??
IMG_7979edited.jpg

Suburban%20Camo%20Complete.JPG

I like camo that covers everything bumpers, trim and all... like this but tan based

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom