How much R134a (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody recharged R134a to your AC? How much did you add? I understand this depends on how low the R134a was before you recharged, I just want to get an idea on how much people add to a working system before it explodes :) My ac was running ok, not super cold. I had bubbles in the sight glass and I added 12 oz of R134a to the system. It is blowing at 53F duct temperature with 99F ambient, 7 degrees improvement but I am still getting bubbles from the sight glass at 1500 RPM. I think it is still LOW, I would like to hear what other people are doing before I add more.

theres a guage you can buy to tell for sure, not sure what the numbers are on it, but believe it has a red zone when theres too much.

It is not unusual to have bubbles in the sight glass of a fully charged R-134 system. What I would recommend is that you go out and purchase a hi-side pressure guage (about $25) and check the system pressure. The guage will have guidlines on the back of the package giving recommended pressure (about 200 psi @ 70F, pressure varies with temp)(hint- put the gauge on before you start the engine, static pressure is about 100 psi, if you don't you will never get it on). Do not use a low side guage to check the charge, it will tell you nothing about the amount of charge and you could damage your system. Low side pressure guages are commonly sold with recharge kits and are responsible for many system failures (so what are they good for, system diagnotics).

Also, remember the 80 series system does not get very cold. In fact if you are just sitting still, it barely gets cool. This is from a lack of airflow when sitting.

Cary

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=4399;start=msg32919#msg32919 date=1061220092]

Also, remember the 80 series system does not get very cold. In fact if you are just sitting still, it barely gets cool. This is from a lack of airflow when sitting.

Cary
[/quote]

Mine A/C rocks. It will freeze me out. This is in SC in 100 degree heat. The LC a/c works better than the one on my 2002 Tahoe.

The "specified ammount" of R134, from the FSM is 850 grams +/- 50 grams. or 29.98 oz +/-1.76 oz. ;)

You guys reminded me that the FSM also has the recommended charge pressure.

Medtro, I'm jeolous that you have a "real" guage set. They are usually $100 plus ($300 for the good ones).

Cary

the ac in my 97 doesnt seem cold enough....how hard is it to recharge yourself. i am driving across the country on friday and want to get it done before then. do i have to have the gauge you are speaking of?

[quote author=NW-sickboy link=board=2;threadid=4399;start=msg32990#msg32990 date=1061238067]
do i have to have the gauge you are speaking of?

[/quote]

Only if you want to do the job without over-filling the system and having high pressures damage something. :eek:

A/C work is best left to those who have experience with those types of repairs. A re-man compressor, less clutch, lists for $769.34 exchange. You wouldn't want to toast one. :p

FWIW, if you don't happen to have a FSM total AC refrigerant fill info is usually on one of the labels under the hood.
Bill

I converted mine recently to 134 and I believe it was 7 ounces?

I can't recall completely though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom