How much disassembly required for smog pump elimination? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Removing the smog pump will obviously require getting some things out of the way. I'm pretty new to working on my car, I've done the suspension, some exhaust welding, oil changes, etc and have had Gary Kardum do everything else, and I want to minimize the number of components I will remove but still remove enough to have reasonably easy access to the pump I'm working on.

I have read basically every thread about FJ60 smog/air pump elimination but I haven't found too much about how much disassembly will be required. The only real mention of this issue I've encountered suggested removing the fan and fan shroud.

For people who have done this and who appreciate my situation can you let me know what I should expect to be removing and any things to look out for in the process (don't let this touch the ground, keep track of that, etc.)

As a thank you I will document the process photographically and post it if it is actually successful.

Thanks very much!

I should have noted that I will be replacing the pump with an eliminator pulley I got from Gary.

I had to take off the carb, intake and exhaust manifolds to get everything out. You'll need to figure out a solution for your PCV fitting and you'll need a block off plate for the J-pipe connection. Look at my Turdle thread to see how I did mine. Search "Rushing Turdle"

If you're just removing the smog pump, the manifold & carb don't need to be touched.
The devilish obstacle preventing the smog pump from popping right out in 10 minutes is the devious design of the pump bolt.

In order to pull the pivot bolt out all the way to pull the pump, the fan shroud [might need] to be moved because it [can be] in the way. On my cruiser, the bolt can't come out without moving the fan shroud.

[edit]

image.png

Last edited:
Hmm. I wasn't aware that you could just remove the smog pump and replace it with a dummy pulley while leaving the EGR, cooler, j-pipe and other associated plumbing in place. Very interesting.

I had mine off, and a JimC tensioner in its place, in about 15min. My truck had already been desmogged though, so there was nothing hooked up to it, aside from the belt. I was able to twist it around enough to slide out, without removing the PS pump.

My pivot bolt didn't contact the fan shroud. I was able to get it out fairly easily.

Yes, all the EGR hellishness can stay where it is if just the pump needs to come out/be swapped.

@enfield
So you're saying that with some fiddling and persuasion, you could pull out that long pump pivot bolt without moving the shroud?

I haven't been able (or gave up trying) to pull the bolt free of the pump while the shroud was bolted up.

It's been a couple weeks, but I remember thinking that it was really easy and I did not touch the shroud. I did take the tensioner bracket off to make room.

Thanks very much for the replies, looks I will probably be removing the shroud. I haven't looked to see if that will require removing the fan blades as well.

Regarding the removal of the smog pump while leaving the rest of the emissions systems intact. My understanding is that this is fine. I spoke with Gary on the phone and asked whether I could simply replace the smog pump with the eliminator pulley and drive like that long term and his answer was: yep. I asked if I had to do anything with the hoses that were originally connected to the smog pump. His answer was: no.

I know there are some different opinions that can be found in threads on this subject, people recommending plugging those hoses, or removing them, or removing them as well as removing other items. But I am confident with Gary's recommendation so I will go with that.

Plan is to replace the pump with the pulley and split for Baja California for two weeks. Hope it works!

As for the shroud, just unbolt it from the support and shift it over enough to get to the bolt. You shouldn't have to take off the fan.

Last edited:
+1 on shroud in place. But it was close. Light cursing levels. PS hoses needed loosening and minor shifting to extract pump. 1/2:banana:
Have fun in Baja!:flipoff2:

Just wiggle and fight it for a few minutes. No big whoop.

Hmmmm.... Oakland? Last I heard it was still in Kalifornia... Smog? We don't need no stinking smog!

How you gonna pass smog inspection, Brah?

(unless you plan to stay in Baja, 4-ever)

Thanks again for all the replies, going to have at it this weekend.

I do realize that it is illegal to drive around in CA without the pump in place. I will install a functioning smog pump after my trip, and certainly before the next smog inspection. Luckily that won't be for awhile as I just smogged it two weeks ago.

Cool. I get it. I'd just throw in a Cardone reman, but I guess you already have the pulley eliminator. I just wouldn't want to do the job twice.

Careful in Baja. It ain't what it used to be. :steer:

I had thought about the overhauled Cardone, but I don't think I'd be able to get one here in time for my trip and from what i've read they aren't exactly pillars of reliability.

I think I will probably roll with the eliminator for now, maybe put a Cardone in when I get back and keep the eliminator pulley (and a spare belt) in the car in case I need to deal with the Cardone failing on the road.

I don't know what Baja used to be like, I've only been going down there since 2006, but I go usually 3-4 times a year and the only problems I've had have been ones I've caused myself by being an idiot. Fingers always crossed initially but after you get south of El Rosario and have a few warm Tecate Lights they start to uncross themselves.

Just wanted to update people on this and say thanks again for all the advice. I ended up loosening the fan shroud. I also found it very useful to temporarily remove the tensioner assembly. Finally, I also found it useful to remove the front skid plate under the car so as to be able to access the smog pump from below.

Anyways, the removal was a pain in the ass but ultimately successful. Installed the eliminator pulley and had no issues on my 2300 mile vacation.

You don't have to remove anythin to pull the smog pump, but when removing smog components for a full desmog, do you have to remove the intake/exhaust manifold?

On my 3fe I had I semi- de smog. I used a shorter belt that did not go over the smog pump. And blocked off the vacuum to the egr. I did not actually remove anything. But the results were absolutely amazing. It ran night and day better. Smooth idle and increased mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom