How long/what to do to reset OBD data after no battery power? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After you have a battery out, what do you do or how far do you have to drive to get the OBD to collect enough data to read "ready"? I ask as I couldn't get a state inspection today because I had the battery out, and reset the OBDII.

Now I am forced to drive around with expired tags until it resets and I can have it inspected. The car had been in storage undriven a year and 1/2. Wonderful.

Full disclosure - this is not for our LC but for our '02 Solara, but I am assuming all Toyotas are the same, and I am guessing most all OBDII sytems are?

mixed driving

That's a key too, I remember on one emissions issue I had on my 80 I had to go drive above like 55mph for 10 minutes to get that into the ECU to clear a code from memory. I felt like I was in the movie "Speed".

Can't you just hit your local auto parts store and borrow their scanner to clear it?

Can't you just hit your local auto parts store and borrow their scanner to clear it?

An ECU must be in the "ready" state to be tested. The driving after a code is clear performs this function. It prevents people from resetting a code in the parking lot and then running their vehicle right in to get the emissions done.

An ECU must be in the "ready" state to be tested. The driving after a code is clear performs this function. It prevents people from resetting a code in the parking lot and then running their vehicle right in to get the emissions done.

Yep, that would just put him back at square one.
I know from experience. :bang:

the other month I went to get my trainers wrangler inspected. It had been sitting dead for a few months so when I called my friend at the heep dealer he said to drive it around a bunch, on highway and local roads for ~50miles. He also said he'd have to change the battery after the inspection not before, or it would just require me to drive it around again.

50 miles

I took my 100 series in 5 miles after battery changefor state inspection at a Toyota dealership. they attempted inspection but could not with OBD not reset. They told me drive 50 miles and come back.

I brought it back at 51.5 miles after battery change, and OBD passed.

My .02 is this. Every manufacturer is different on how the ECU has emission codes reset. I had a honda that required three very specific drive cycles, you could drive it all you wanted and if the drive cycles weren't met your emission codes wouldn't reset. But it sounds like Toyota did a better job than that (go figure). Anyway good luck, hopefully witin 50 miles it will be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom