how F'd are the California gun laws?

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by KayakPanic, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Just a basic question about California gun laws...how F'd are they?

I am considering a job relocation from one of the most liberal gun law states into one of the most conservative gun law states. I am not thinking of bringing the whole aresenal (no AR, semi auto, or tactical guns), BUT:

-I am wondering if every gun owned in CA has to be licensed, esp. if you already own it...if so does it cost you every year like vehicle licensing?

-What is considred CC? Here in MT I can have a loaded shotgun behind the seat and that is fine and NOT considered CC...

-I would be interested in bringing a shotgun for target practice, or a small revolver (.22, .357, .44/45), or possibly a hunting rifle (.270, 30-06, 7mm mag). Are there any specifics that apply to any of these?

-At this point I am not interested in purchasing a gun in CA, so I am mostly interested in the laws that apply to gun ownership, transportation of firearms in vehicles, and if licensing of any type is required.

Most of what I have learned about CA firearm laws, and even the 2nd Amendment, has come from this site on MUD, so I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks
  2. fieldsken1

fieldsken1 SILVER Star

if you want to own a gun then californias out of the question. if you want a ccw permit i hope you have nothing but time. what a friggin hassle that is. if its not legal in california they dont care where you got it or if you already own it. you cant have it. as far as the ones you asked about you will most likley be ok. no it does not cost every year like a car.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

Many principled complaints aside, it is still possible to own plenty of firearms in the PRK, at least in most places. (I suspect some particularly liberal towns and cities like Santa Monica, San Fran etc have tighter rules for registration, ammo purchases etc.) I think that in the more rural areas you are probably fine. A CCW will be very hard to get in most bigger cities, but possible in many more rural areas. But it's expensive (school, interviews, fees etc, and time-consuming.)
    Yes, the registration fee is a one time deal so far.
    There are limitations or prohibitions on things like alleged AW, some handguns, 50s etc, and you may not be able to import all of your toys for instance (be very careful about that) but for run of the mill guns you can still own them and shoot them here if you're a resident. Although likely not as easily as in some more easy going states. And the fees upon purchase, transfer and registration do add up.
    Perhaps surprisingly, I have had very good luck in talking to the guns regulations people in the calif AG office. Very helpful and pleasant, at least when I talked to them. You should not hesitate to call them and ask all your questions. They never asked for my name when I called and that was typically about evil black guns. There are special rules for non-residents that you should find out about, and if you become a resident you may likely have to register and declare a bunch of stuff. Watch out for transportation, you can't just have unlocked handguns in the car for instance, even unloaded. Be very careful about that. Ask the firearms bureau about all that. And they have a good web site too with plenty of FAQs etc.

Having said all that, it's not as easy as MT I'm sure, but one can still shoot here.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

don't forget to leave all your hi capacity mags in mt...anything more than 10 rounds is illegal unless you were a resident in 2000 and had them before then. you can not bring them into the state now. that makes three of my five guns illegal there. welcome to the land of the formerly free
  5. Wile E Coyote

Wile E Coyote Dave's not here! SILVER Star

What a poorly informed, prejudicial thing to type. There are PLENTY of gun owners in the PRK. Check out, Calguns.net for a bit more reliable info.
  6. There is no job that could pay me enough for me to permanently relocate to Commiefornia. Especially because of the gun laws.
  7. CycloSteve

CycloSteve SILVER Star

^this. Calguns will help you sort the FUD from reality. The state has plenty to offer, unfortunately we have to continually fight to maintain our fundamental 2A rights, and Calguns and CRPA keep winning on the legal-challenge fronts.

For those who lament what happens in CA, remember if this battle is lost, the same nonsense could come to your town. Better to help fight the good fight (for our rights).

You can still have plenty of fun toys here, just be prepared to be a bit bewildered with the nonsense-laws which crop up every year from our broken-minded legislature.

:cheers:

Steve
  8. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

no, it doesn't. it's a beautiful state in places, but the laws discussed here are only a fraction of the issues, based on one hobby, most of us have with commiefornia. look at our other hobby and look at the bs laws regarding engine swaps, emissions in general, aftermarket products...kalifornia's government and many of their laws are evil
  9. CycloSteve

CycloSteve SILVER Star

Hmm, last I checked CO was having more problems with people on the board failing smog inspections than CA. Granted we have plenty of BS to deal with on the hobby fronts, but plenty of counties in CO seem to be as strict with smog, if not more strict than CA. Same problem with gubs and cars...the CA BS flows elsewhere if we don't try and fight it here first.

75 degrees and sunny here today on my deck looking out at the Redwood forest. Weather, beaches, jobs, mountains, yes we have them. Taxes stink, CARB sucks, the ultra-left legislature is off the rails, but my business and family are here, so I continue to buck the trend and help keep this state in balance. Some folks pack up and leave, but I would rather face these issues here and now.

:cheers: from the front lines.

Steve
  10. fieldsken1

fieldsken1 SILVER Star

i know theres plentry of guns you just dont have as good a selection as other states give thier people
  11. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Guilty. My sister, who still lives in CA, told me I left just in time (1995). Personally, I think I left 10 years too late. You could not get me back to CA, I don't care how much somebody paid me.

Sometimes the issue in CA is not so much the gun laws, but population perspective about guns. My sister and her boyfriend are ultra conservative, yet when it comes to guns they think I'm nuts having a CCW license. Literally all of my CA friends don't understand why I would own a gun, let alone 4 of them. When I visit I don't talk about it.

Californians have been brainwashed into believing that guns are bad. Granted, that is a generalization, but over-all I think you will find that is the case.

And, as has been mentioned, it's not just the gun laws that are messed up. The state is going broke because they just can't seem to stop meddling in everybody's business.

12. Thanks for all of the good info. I would mainly be moving there for a career move, though I would either work seasonally, or year round and try to retain my Montana resident status somehow if at all possible, so thanks for the information about resident and non-resident rules being different. I will check out those links provided about that, as I was wondering about that.

The girls and the beaches wouldn't make the decision any harder either...

I definately understand that people from both political affiliations (we can only have 2 right???) can have skewed beleifs on gun gun ownership. I hang around with people from both sides of the issue. If I do move, likely I will have a hangun in a lockbox under the driver's seat, and not tell very many people about having it.

It makes it harder on the gun owner, having to read all of each states laws to make sure they are in compliance with state law. I think it strange that it is possible I may have to unload a firearm at one state border, lock the trigger and ammo at the next state border, and put the gun out of reach in the back of the truck at the next just to drive from here to California. I obviously want to retain the right to bear arms the rest of my life, so compliance is important to me.

There is the "personal protection" aspect of it as well. I would be near Yosemite NP which has notorious human/black bear problems, with other "human caused" problems as well likely.

It isn't necessarily a problem for me to comply with reasonable regulations, as long as it doesn't put any undue financial burder upon me, but i understand many are over the top in many places, for many different reasons (esp CA). Having a handgun locked while in transport is fine with me, although I would be locking it up so it couldn't be easily stolen, rather than so it couldn't be easily used while driving.

How much does it cost to license a gun and how much hassel is it, for the "normal" guns listed above? Are we talking $25 per gun, or $225 per gun?
    (esp SxS 12 guage or 20 guage shotguns, or revolvers with 6 bullets, or hunting rifles with less than 10 bullet clip)

What is the deal with buying ammo? Do you have to fill out a form with your name, and signature, and show ID every time when buying shotshells, handgun bullets, or rifle bullets?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  13. CycloSteve

CycloSteve SILVER Star

There is no license fee yet, and ammo is still registration free in most counties. You only need to register handguns within 60 days of entry, not for long guns or shotguns. HG reg is $19 IIRC, an only done once. 11+ mags are a no no if not here before 2000. No named so called evil rifles, but there are easy work-arounds. Again check Calguns out, especially the 2A forum.

:cheers: and picking up my hunters license today.

Steve
  14. matt marquardt

matt marquardt

You didn't mention where in the PRK. Some places,so not the southern part near the coast, I would'nt worry about much. High capacity mags are a no no. I would check to see how big of a deal it would be if you DID'NT declare a shotgun or what-ever. I roll with an un-loaded shotgun if I think I can get an afternoon hunt in. TRigger locks are required or a locked box for transportation. ....and I don't do it.
  15. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

What it will boil down to is dot your i's and cross your t's with your guns in CA. You need to get on Calguns and follow links to the DOJ to find out if your guns are legal. If they are no problem. Even law firms who specialize in firearm laws get confused. One of my clients bought a CA approved pistol. He didn't want to fly through LAX with it so I offered to mail it to him. He checked with an attorney at this specialty law firm and was told no way I could ship it to him. I sent him all of the info I had researched, thanks to calguns, and he sent it on to the attorney. The response was, "Oh yes in that case you can have a gun shipped directly to you." Dot your i's and cross your t's!

FWIW, I grew up on one of the nicest beaches in CA. If you are young and independently wealthy you will have a ton of fun. If not, or even if you are, you will get sick of the gold digger chicks who will check your tax return before she spreads her legs. No, they are not all that bad but have fun sorting through them.
  16. FJROME

FJROME

Well said Steve, I would hope people would realize that this State consists of more than just L.A. and the Bay area and there are alot of like minded Americans that live here also who are very much pro 2nd amendment. I am fortunate to live in a county where the majority is not afraid of the word "GUN" and the Sheriff understands he's not the only one who gets to have them.
    Rant off
    Here's a link to Cal. rifle and pistol assn. who work hand in hand with the N.R.A. for California, They send out a "Summary of California gun laws & basic safety rules" when you join or even if you just ask and cover postage. www.crpa.org
  17. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Geez, the list of pending legislation at Bill Status Update is enough to cement my staying in NM.
  18. Atticus

Atticus

That's not what you said. Please stop talking out your rear end about stuff about which you clearly are ignorant, especially when people are looking for information.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  19. inthewall

inthewall

^^ what state gives people guns. Big fkn???
  20. kellyo

kellyo

CA gun laws suck and does most everything else ecept the weather. I have been trying to get out of here for years but all my money is tied up in real estate that I can't give away. I have two brothers who moved to TX and love it and another in Idaho. He loves Idaho just very limited work but that is everywhere except TX but even it is slow. I can't wait to hit the eject button here.