How does something like this happen? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had some grinding recently when braking. Sounded like RR. So I changed pads, still heard noise, then proceeded to change DS & PS front pads. Still heard noise, but now getting much worse, and after last test drive, I saw brake fluid leaking out of LR side brakes. Took things apart, and had a hard time getting caliper off, and then found this mess. No sign of inner pad expect small piece of metal.
image.jpeg

Outer pad still had approx 1/8" left. Rotor of course is pooched.
image.jpeg

:bang::bang::bang:
Time for a brew or two.:beer::beer:

Last edited:
My guess would be the slider seized and the inner pad was completely worn away as a result of doing all the braking.

My guess would be the slider seized and the inner pad was completely worn away as a result of doing all the braking.
Agreed, years ago when my 80 was my brothers it failed inspection because one rear brake was way weaker than the other. When we tore it apart one of the rubber bushings around the slide pin was gone and the pin had rusted solid in the caliper.

The rubber cap on one slider must have been cracked or something last time I did the pads as there is a glob of silicone to seal the opening which I must have applied. I don't think I drove more than 400 kms (250 miles) since I started to hear the noise. I'm really surprised that the complete pad had literally been used up. To add to this misery, the new caliper I got from the dealer for the RR side looks to be NS. I see grease inside the banjo threads, and the two smaller threads for the bolts that secure the dust shield are corroded (one has barely any threads). Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase new rear rotors, rebuilt front calipers, and perhaps new front rotors so I know at least everything is as good as new after almost 20 years.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Caliper rebuild kits are cheap, esp the rear ones - if you do it yourself, you know the workmanship that went into the seal install & you can really eyeball the pistons.

Only part CDan told me wasn't available is a little o-ring in the halves of the fr calipers, so don't lose or beat it.

Maybe takes more time, but I trust my own rebuild over chain parts store rebuilds (plus it's ~$60-75 for all 4 corners). My pistons were decent, so I rebuilt all mine when I did full axle overhauls doing e-lock, regear, bearings, birfs, spindles, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom