How do I remove the main steering wheel shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thebigredrocker

SILVER Star
Threads
On a 76 FJ40

I would like to remove my main steering wheel shaft to cut a keyway for the 3/4" round spicer yoke. I have the steering wheel off. What's the next step? I'm thinking I just hammer the shaft and pull it out from the engine bay. Wondering if any vetran FJ40 guy's can help me out.

Thanks again for all the support
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432072654.533727.jpg

FJ40 right? There is a snap ring in there that needs to come off, then the shaft comes out through the engine compartment.

What he said^^^^
Plus: First disconnect the rag joint, second unbolt shaft from firewall, third unbolt column from under the dash, fourth remove all wiring connections including ignition switch, then comes the hard part removing the locking mechanism from the shaft.

Hi
You will need to remove the blinker arm assembly.
Cheers

...via IH8MUD app

If I can pull a snap ring and slide the inner shaft out I think I would prefer that method. The outer housing of my column is freshly painted so I was hoping to leave it in place. This is my first Saginaw conversion, so I am definately open minded as to successful methods. If all of Mud were tested for mechanical apptitude I would be at the back of the line. So I greatly appreciate guys wiping the grease of their hands to type the answers I need.

My plan is to take the inner shaft to a machine shop and have a Keyway cut in. Also I read where @Poser has the machinist true the shaft end on a Lathe to 3/4". I am guessing doing that would allow me to mount the Keyed yoke farther down the shaft where the thicker steps are, just before the flange. Just from eyeballing, it appears if I cut the shaft right where it tapers to 3/4" it should work but will be really close to my ramhorn down tube. Guess I'll soon find out. I did end up purchasing a Lincoln mig welder and have not ruled out simply welding the Spicer 3/4" round keyed yoke on. I have .035 wire and 80/20 gas. Planning on welding the Spicer Hex yoke on the Neapco Hex shaft unless told otherwise.

Regards

Do u really need to pull the shaft ? Cant u just pull the whole column and do the necessary mod to the shaft ?
I never removed my shaft when i welded on my u joint , I just pulled the whole column

That is what I did too, although mine wasn't a weld, just a shorten and modification from 3/4 round to 3/4 "D" shape to accept a Flaming River U-joint.

Well I ended up leaving the column in place and dropping just the center shaft out. It was pretty simple. Steering wheel came if easy, Pull the blinker switch, take the snap ring retainer plate off, one snap ring off, bearing slides off the shaft. After that, my shaft slid right out into the engine bay. Thanks Mace for the pointer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom