How can I tell if the late model FJ40 has disc brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've looked at a couple post 75 FJ40's but they had drum brakes....I think. How can I identify the disc brakes. Why would a 78 have drum brakes? Thanks

some/most countries outside the US and Canada still received drum brake front ends into the 80's

Probably the easiest way is to look behind the tires and see if there are calipers - disc brakes have calipers and a disc... drum brakes have a drum and shoes.

Here's a caliper - circled - disc brake - and you can see it without having to remove the wheel/tire. The disc is the gold inside the caliper.

caliper.jpg

Yup, my 77 had Drums in the rear I converted to disk. pngunme said, look behind the wheel, if you see a caliper you have disks if not you have drum.

Canadian 40s & 55s got front discs around the 76 model year. 45s, however, still had 4 wheel drums... Till at least 78... But I've never seen a 45 that came with discs stock.

Outside of the North American Market, they had drums all around much later.

Thanks for the image of the disc brake caliper. I looked at one with KpH Speedo with front drum brakes on a 77. Just trying to crack the code. I appreciate the quick response. Still looking for a FJ40.

It all depends on the country or market the truck was made for.
Where are you located and / or in which country are you looking?

Rudi

My '80 FJ40 is originally from Equador. It was factory equipped with front disc brakes, power steering, and emissions.

It did have a heater delete though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom