Honda EX6500 Generator - where is the idle mixture screw? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

Take a look at the pic below and let me know if I've identified the items properly!

Second pic is just for ref.

I need to adjust the idle mixture for high elevation operation at 7,000'. The Honda Owners Manual says to do this but doesn't show how. I'll need to purchase a shop manual eventually.

Thanks.
idle mixture screw.jpg
butterfly.jpg

Everything is identified in the pictures correctly,the small jet in the first pic is the pilot jet,for the main jet you have to remove the float bowl and it is located inside the center tube,or on some models it sat sideways at the bottom of the tube,check also but you may have to purchase a main jet also for higher altitudes

Good info, thanks.

Cheers.

We had an issue with one of our autothrottles on our Honda's at the firehouse. (Ex5000) which according to the dealer made it idle to low. I really don't know how the autothrottle is tied into the idle speed or how the system works. The autothrottle was working, it just was ideling extremely low.

The dealer did replace parts on the autothrottle to fix it. (at least the switch was new) However, it didn't make sense to me at the time and still doesn't. It seems like the autothrottle in the off position would simply be utilizing the carburator only. For my own future reference since you had things apart. What is the link between the autothrottle and the carb? Is it something electronic with solenoids, it doesn't "feel" mechanical?

We have 8 ex5000's (on apparatus) on and 4 6500's (from homeland security) So another idle issue is bound to come up, even though were not at altitude. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

Hmm, I'm by no means an expert on this thing but I'll hazard a guess! The auto throttle is controlled by a governor. Anytime you turn the switch from from AUTO to OFF and vice versa, there is a eletronic solenoid that moves the throttle. However, once the throttle is on a high rpm, the governor kicks in and maintains a steady rpm.

If the auto throttle is providing a too low of an idle rpm, I'd think that a simple idle adj using the idle speed screw (see my pic above) would suffice.

When I did the conversion from petrol to propane, I had to fiddle with this adj a little bit. Evidently the propane fuel requires a tad faster idle rpm than petrol fuel.

I don't know if I've helped any but there you go!

During my conversion project, I found this site Honda GENERATOR Parts Pre-1997 ES6500 A GENERATOR, JPN, VIN# GX360-1000001 TO GX360-1017635 to be quite helpful.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom