Homemade Timing Gear Oil Nozzle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

73FJ40

After another night of rust removal!
SILVER Star
Threads
Pulled my F engine to replace gaskets and seals (I figured they were original from Jan '73). Imagine my surprise when I found one of the larger diameter timing cover bolts was mongrel (not std Toyota with indented head and captured washer) and one of the small bolts spinning but not unthreading. I had to cut the spinning bolt off with a wafer wheel, and look at the nozzle:
upload_2016-2-12_23-2-27.png

Is there any way this is stock? A piece of all-thread with a slot on the end? Held in place with a glob of old school Permatex No 1?

upload_2016-2-12_23-5-35.png

It does have a squirter hole, and this shows the cut-off bolt shaft:
upload_2016-2-12_23-8-19.png

So, comments are requested on the following plan:

Pull the camshaft (I would unbolt the rocker arm shafts and remove the push rods and lifters) to get the front plate off, and replace the front plate or somehow fix the threads on the broken bolt.

Get a real oil nozzle.

In this deep, replace all the freeze plugs (I know, the Toyota versions, not generic.)

With the oil pan off, clean everything up,

Speedi-sleeve for the harmonic balancer (I can catch my finger nail (barely) on grooves cut by the front seal)

(the dizzy and fuel pump are already out; I planned to replace the valve cover gasket, push rod cover gasket, oil pan (leaking through the bottom) and oil pan gasket; the rear main oil seal; the welch plug on the end of the camshaft seems to be leaking; etc. etc.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Last edited:
W.T.F.? The squirter nozzle is not a failure part. But if they boogered it up somehow, it is available from toyota...

Unfortunately the squirter has a coarse, tapered thread, so the bolt thingy has rethreaded the timing plate. Get a used & unmolested plate & squirter from a parts engine, new gaskets & seals from toyota, install per FSM, call it good. Don't bother w/ the speedi-sleev. It took 40 years to get a little dent in the seal surface. A new, pliable seal on a polished seal surface will be good for another 40 years.

Look closely at cam lobes & lifter faces while it's apart. Probably should plan on sending the cam and lifter to Delta Cams to be reground & refaced.

PS: Pic is so good, it's getting linked.

W.T.F.? The squirter nozzle is not a failure part. But if they boogered it up somehow, it is available from toyota...

Unfortunately the squirter has a coarse, tapered thread, so the bolt thingy has rethreaded the timing plate. Get a used & unmolested plate & squirter from a parts engine, new gaskets & seals from toyota, install per FSM, call it good. Don't bother w/ the speedi-sleev. It took 40 years to get a little dent in the seal surface. A new, pliable seal on a polished seal surface will be good for another 40 years.

Look closely at cam lobes & lifter faces while it's apart. Probably should plan on sending the cam and lifter to Delta Cams to be reground & refaced.

PS: Pic is so good, it's getting linked.

Thanks for the guidance. I've arranged to get a plate and squirter from Pardion based upon a strong reference from OrangeFJ45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom