Holes from removing fender flares (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I removed my fender flares and I am trying to decide what to do to fill them before monstaliner. It seems like welding is the best option. What have you guys done to fill your holes? What ever I do I want it to look good and last.
Weld em

Weld them up and grid the weld flush to the body panel. I used a copper spoon on some of the holes but then decided to just weld them without it because it seemed like it worked a bit better. Just watch out for things behind the panel your welding so you don't start a fire. Make sure you prime before monstaliner though. Other options are metal tape, bondo, jb weld.

Use search or Google. I see this subject a few times a month and MUD doesn't need any more. Not trying to be a jerk. Maybe @nuclearlemon could add this to the stickies since it is so frequently discussed.

I can see indeed that rust in the back with welding would be a concern... But maybe one of those spray cans with a tube thing could be the ticket if one can actually reach out back there...

Poprivots.

PO of my LX did this & had lined arches/rockers & as thick as it was you'd never have guessed.

The poprivots were slight bigger than norm you think of, but it was a solid fix - I hate cheesey fixes & this was no joke, it was a solid no-weld way to fill all 120+ holes a LX has when you lose the cladding.

I can see indeed that rust in the back with welding would be a concern... But maybe one of those spray cans with a tube thing could be the ticket if one can actually reach out back there...

I was thinking of a small brush and por15 on the back of the welds.

Those who have used the tape. Has anyone taped then bondo for a smoother look?

Linus: do you have a photo or details on the type/size of pop rivets used?

I welded them, but Im in Ca so unless we have snow in la not really worried about rust, primer-ed the inside walls of the body where I could reach them haven't found a way to weld up the rockers and primer the back side of the rocker.Hell even thought about just replacing the rockers with the land cruiser ones,dang LX had meg holes in the rockers.I cheated with the doors and bought some off a Landcruiser,hell the paint even matched.

Wire brushed the holes clean, etching primer, jb weld, etching primer and then lined with Al's, no issues 3+ years.

It would have been nice to weld but hard to get to the inside on some of the holes to seal afterwards without a lot of work.

Linus: do you have a photo or details on the type/size of pop rivets used?
Sorry, nope - they are just slighty oversized, the ones that use the thickest shank in them & have a 3/8" head.
If you go to a big box store they prob were just the big ones there, they were common to find in the storehouse out in the refineries.
McMaster Carr at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom