Hole In the Rock....best week of my life, hands down. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here I will try and describe the most epic trip I've been on in a cruiser.
It was really a once in a lifetime trip. We had a good group of guys, a crazy trail, great weather, and bitchin food and drink. This will take e a couple days to write and there will be a million pictures.

I have decided to share this here, in our clubhouse, instead of other sections of mud because I don't want people to think they can just go out and do this trail, and because I would hate to see this trail turn into a highway like the trails around moab.

The story starts about six months ago with and email from my dad basically stating that we have been invited on a trip in Utah and that this was the real deal. There was no saying no or anything that would be more worth our time than this trip. The plan was to run the hole in the rock trail, among other things. If you really want to know the other things, ask me in person. I'm not trying to sound cool, I just will not tell you the one big epic detour we took here on mud. You will see pictures of everything tho!

So fast forward to the 13 of this month. My dad shows up Reno, much later than planned... On the way over from the bay he stopped at georg's shop in Stockton. When he turned on his car to leave georg's shop the starter motor in the goat (what we call his 60) got stuck in the on position, subsequently a lot of electrical got fried and they ripped out the battery b4 the truck caught fire.

So her we are, 2 days before we need to be in Utah and who knows what is fried on the goat. The only thing we know at this point is what doesn't work. The AC doesn't work, the running lights don't work, the dash lights don't work, the battery is not being charged and the brake lights don't work. Just great right. When he finally gets to Reno we prioritize the battery not charging as our greatest issue. We figured out that part of the fusible link was blown. So we threw some fusible link directly off of the hot stud on the alternator to the battery and got the main battery to charge. Feeling much better we started to tear through Nevada on 50.

And when I say tear across 50, I mean at 60pmh (when it's flat) with the windows down, cuz the ac is shot at this point and the truck is on the verge of overheating. Fun times.

IMG_0653.jpg

We pulled off 50 to get this shot, a couple miles before Austin if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Shortly after the picture above the sun fell and we plunged into darkness on 50.
And with no dash lights and a temp and egt gauge that needed monitoring meant shining a headlamp on the dash. It was a total pain in the ass. At least the headlights were working....
IMG_0656.jpg

We crossed into Utah at about 1am local time on the 13th and didn't make it to the hotel in salina... till 2:30am.
We drank a beer from the New ARB fridge and fell asleep as soon as we hit the sheets. Wake up call at 5am came quick. But we wanted to get to the meeting point in Halls Crossing well before everyone to work on the truck, so we got up and got moving.

We arrived at our ferry to take us across lake powell just as they were boarding and enjoyed the ride over. Our meeting point, in halls crossing was so close at this point. We met up with Andrew Pollack in Salina, so you will se his 80 in front of the goat in the pic below. I am also standing next to him in the photo.
IMG_0671.jpg

We got off the ferry and made the short drive up to the meeting campsite. Two of the guys were already there waiting for us. Cameron and Beno. It turned out that Beno had a new OEM fusible link for a 60 series and it solved every electrical issue on the goat. Just Crazy, simply crazy. He was driving his 70 series....not a 60, he just happened to grab it on his way out the door.

By five o'clock the entire squad had arrived and we were ready to start. Literally 16 hours b4 the set meet time we were all there and ready to go.
DSC_8321.jpg

Starting on the left is my Uncle Steve @trout bum , My brother Johhny @JohnnyOshow22 , Myself, My father Steve @MountNGoat , Jason @jzf80 , Andrew @Cruiserdrew , Richard, Alex @concretejungle , Beno @beno , Cameron @FJ60Cam and Paul @PabloVTA
The vehicles starting from the left, Johnny's 80 series, The goat(1HD-T diesel conversion), Jason's 80, Andrews 80, Alex's 80, Beno's bj70, Camerons 60 with vortec V8 and 80 suspension and pauls 80.

DSC_8322.jpg

Camp the first night.

Last edited:
The first real day on the trail was awesome
DSC_8330.jpg

Here is a close up shot of my brothers 80 from the first day.
DSC_8337.jpg

At this point in time we are stopped to scope out the trail ahead, it made for a really cool picture off all the cruisers.

This Hole in the rock trail has a lot of history, I don't know much of it, but I do know it was the Mormon immigrant trail and that it was a slow hard trail for them to cross with their wagons. They had to winter on the trail and there was even a baby born on the trail. To get their wagons across the off camber sections they cut what are called dugways into the rock. Basically its cutting a less sloped road into the rock. At the end of the first day we made it to one of the big dugways and camped for the night half way up a perfectly placed alcove.

I agree, waiting to see what happens next, ill be in Utah for 2 weeks with the cruiser so now i am really curious about this trail

The last obstacle on our first trail day was a shelf road up to the alcove camp. It was easily one of the top three sketchy moments in the trip.
IMG_0713.jpg

Here is some video of the very off camber section, just around the corner from the alcove camp.
Of course the video does not capture the wash out right here and seriousness of this obstacle. But believe me, this was a place where is was take the one correct line or roll down the cliff.

Here is a good video of how tiny the trail is on the upper half of the shelf road. Sorry for the fingers, I was trying to walk backwards and not fall off the trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom